Farmiwinch JL30 questions?

/ Farmiwinch JL30 questions? #1  

Jim Morrell

Born and raised in the great state of Maine
Tractor
Kubota B7610HSD
Hello,

I own a Kubota B7610 and am looking to put a farm winch on it. I was looking for a 351 but came across this JL30 which was produced between 1974 and 1978 from what I can find on the net. I called my local Kubota dealer to ask them questions like if it is rated for my tractor and such but they had no info for me. Can anyone help me out? I would like to know if it will fit my tractor, if it is a good fit as far as weight and pulling power, and about what I should expect to pay for this winch in good condition. Also the cable was replaced with 1/2 inch cable some time back, does this matter? My tractor is 24HP with 18 rear PTO/HP and the winch came off a 34HP tractor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

/ Farmiwinch JL30 questions? #2  
I can't help alot but I did find this discription of a tractor and winch in a logging study. From that minimal discription it appears that the JL 30 could be similar to the 351. I question why they put it on a 60 hp tractor but that is probably what they had. If you get it I would replace the 1/2" cable with 5/16" or 3/8" unless you want some extra exercise hauling heavy line thru the woods. I have 5/16" cable on my JP290 which pulls at 6400 LBS. It has served me well for 10 years. I have turned it around once and plan to replace it this year.

Edit: Make sure you can get parts.

"The Same Minitaurus 60 is manufactured in Italy and designed for small farm use. It is a
medium-size four-wheel drive tractor with a 60-horsepower engine. It is equipped with a
3-point hitch, live power takeoff, and a JL30 Farmi logging winch. The winch has a
6,600-pound line pulling capacity, spooled with 165 feet of 3/8-inch cable. Optional and
safety equipment included a bucket loader, front wheel weights, loaded rear tires, wheel chain
and roUover protection. (See Figures 1 through 5 for illustrations of each of the five tractors.)"

Attachments

• Winching.JPG
    Winching.JPG
    889 KB · Views: 300
  • RdSideFireWood3.JPG
    RdSideFireWood3.JPG
    702.2 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
   / Farmiwinch JL30 questions?
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't seem to be too much about this model on the internet and the local Kubota dealer doesn't have much for help either. I guess I should probably wait for a 351 to come on the market.

/ Farmiwinch JL30 questions?
The person selling the winch wants $1400 for it and said he might take $1300. For a winch that is so hard to learn anything about and mabey just as hard to get parts just doesnt seem to be worth it. Seems pretty hard to find anything around $800 and when you do they go quick. Thanks for the link.

/ Farmiwinch JL30 questions? #6  
The only thing that wears on those old winches is the bearing sets, which are pretty much standard and can be sourced many places. I have a Farmi 601 that looks to be that old and I was able to source a complete set of input shaft and cable drum bearings for it for relatively cheap money.

If the JL30 is comparable to the 351, a half inch cable is way too heavy for it. They prolly put it on there because they were running it on a 60 HP tractor. which is more power than a 351 can use.

People don't replace cables unless they have somehow done serious damage to the one they have on the drum. When I do a pull to the log yard I chain the logs to the winch frame, raise the tractor lift and do my skid that way. You can use the cable to do the skid, as that is what the movable lower snatch block is for. I don't like the idea of putting all that strain on a single point on the winch and a hang up will bind the cable in coils on the drum, so I spread the load out over the winch frame with the choker chains.

If they had to replace the cable, my guess is they had some serious fraying chaffing going on with the original one. My 601 is a 13k # winch and it has a 5/8 cable. Believe me that is a HEAVY SOB when dragging it 100 yeard! The clutch should slip when you are attempting to winch in a load greater than the winch capacity. However there is a ratchet lock on the drum (engaged when using the cable to skid the log load). If that was locked, and they got a hang up.......... jammed cable in the cable spool and perhaps some bent ratchet parts!

Look the winch over closely, including the ratchet lock. Have the PTO shaft off of input shaft and see what kind of slop there is in the input shaft bearings. See how loose the chain is and how worn the chain guide is. The input shaft bearings are the ones that blow out first as the gearing puts most of the leverage on them. Pull the cable all the way off the drum and inspect it. If it is good, the only compromise you are making is weight of cable (when manually pulling it to a log) and length capacity on the drum. Check the condition of the sliders and how many there are (should be 3). Does the winch come with choker chains? those are not cheap. If it is in reasonable shape, $1,400 is not an unfair price for it. even if you have to replace the bearing sets, they are about a hundred bucks for the input shaft set and lass for the drum set.

I use my Farmi a LOT (25 cord a year on big steep property), bought it used from a guy here who bought it from a guy here. They are great, bullet proof pieces as long as they are maintained and not used in a stupid fashion.

PM me if I can be of more help.

/ Farmiwinch JL30 questions? #7  
Jim if you are not interested in it, I definitely am. PM me with details if you don't want it.

/ Farmiwinch JL30 questions? #8  
You can still get parts. I did just 2 yrs ago for mine. I replaced the bearings on my own from a local bearing shop but had to buy a new chain tensioner as it was worn down to the nub. The support is amazing for units so old. $1300 is a bit much but perhaps you can talk him down by saying things like parts are hard to get, lots of special stuff etc., if you are so inclined. He probably won't know better... The clutch on the one I have looks like new, IMHO and it is original. Hard to go wrong on these...

/ Farmiwinch JL30 questions? #9  
Ready to buck up.jpgTodays pull.jpgSkidding log.jpgJim,

Here are some photos of my JL290 Farmi winch in action today. Unfortunately, I was not able to pull in all the logs that I cut a few days ago. My snatch block broke, and I need it to get the logs from where they fell. The logs in the photo were along side the skid trail.

I am amazed at how much power the winch has for such a small tractor......you won't regret having the winch!

/ Farmiwinch JL30 questions? #10  
I rarely ever do this, but I am compelled to this time. I have to take issue with your skidding technique.

1) that log is way too high up on the back of the tractor. If it snags and you are not watching, at a minimum it will give you quite a scare. That high up could easily result in a tip over. I notice you are dragging a choker chain also. That is probably not optimal and I think maybe dangerous.

2) You might consider skidding logs from the butt end. The limb stubs have a lot less chance of grabbing a hold of something as you skid.

3) See the notches along to top of the skidder dozer frame? Those are designed such that you winch a log in with toe winch frame backed into the soil a bit, (butt end first), and drop the choker chain into a slot. Then you winch another one in and do the same. the choker chains are snugged up in the slots, you raise the tractor lift and the butt of the log swings right up against the lip of the dozer blade. Off you go, with the load BELOW the rear axle line, and no choker chains dragging behind. I have some practice at this and am using a 100hp tractor with a JL601.

I hope you find this helpful. That is a nice setup you have. here is mine:

Logging 2012 010.jpgFirewood%202009%20016.jpgFire wood 2011 007.jpg