steering box leaking- what to do?

/ steering box leaking- what to do? #1  

dqdave1

Veteran Member
Tractor
tc- 29d
Ok; glow plugs would not work so I pulled side cover off TC29 ( 1999) to replace lamp timer and I notice alot of oil from steering control. I also checked power steering dipstick and it shows no oil on dipstick. How hard is it to rebuild it. I see messicks wants 125.00 for a rebuild kit. Looks like a pain to get off to rebuild. Are these controls known to leak and if so, where is the leak normally at. Did not get into it deeply. Waiting on lamp timer to get glow plugs back in operation.

/ steering box leaking- what to do? #2  
G'day can't tell you if it is a common problem to leak but I would clean the area first and top the fluid up, start it up and see if you can find a leak it may be a hose or fitting and not the steering box .

Jon

/ steering box leaking- what to do? #3  
When you add the fluid you could try a stop leak type of power steering oil. It will help for small leaks to seal but major leaks need to be repaired.

Debaldy

/ steering box leaking- what to do?
Well; I removed the steering control valve and it is leaking on top where input ( 12 spline) shaft is. Thought I would just pick up another control valve and swap it out and see that New Holland wants $1400.00 + for a new one. It is an Eaton UAS100B08A2d valve. Had no luck trying to cross it to a generic eaton valve. Anyone had any luck?
Dave

/ steering box leaking- what to do? #5  
Dave, the steering motor has a seal kit for $146 and you can replace many of the internal parts. Did you miss this on the parts diagrams?

TC29SteeringMotor.jpg

/ steering box leaking- what to do?
No I saw the seal kit, but someone on line told me they rebuilt their's and it still leaked, so I thought I would just swap it out. I actually packed it up and sent it to midwest steering to have it rebuilt. They said to rebuild seals it would be around $200.00. They have a 2 day turnaround. And this is what they do daily. I went this route. These steering control valves go for anyway from $300.00 to $600.00 except for New Holland. Again, New Holland exposed the top of steering valve to weather and mine is very rusted/corroded.

/ steering box leaking- what to do? #7  
Does anyone have the p/n for the kit described in post #5. I have a Kioti CK30 and the dealer here says he cannot get the parts breakdown from Kioti, yet the teardown instructions are in the service manual.

Gerry

/ steering box leaking- what to do? #8  
Does anyone have the p/n for the kit described in post #5. I have a Kioti CK30 and the dealer here says he cannot get the parts breakdown from Kioti, yet the teardown instructions are in the service manual.

Gerry

Gerry, the chances of your Kioti Steering Control Box and the one for the New Holland being the same are pretty slim. Are you sure yours is the same? If you are sure, then the part number of the kit I mentioned is SBA334293128 SEAL KIT and can be ordered from a New Holland or Case/Farmall dealer.

/ steering box leaking- what to do? #9  
Jim;

I am doing more research but that drawing you provided is exactly the same as the pump I have here.

Will let you know what I find.

Gerry

/ steering box leaking- what to do? #10  
Jim;

I removed the pump from the Kioti and indeed it is an Eton manufactured pump per the dwg you provided but when I gave them the Char-Lynn/Eton model number, they say that it is actually manufactured by a Japanese company and the information is proprietary. Man oh man, what a run around. That is the same answer I get from the Canadian Kioto dealer. The service manual contains the strip down and rebuild of the steering unit but they will not provide p/ns. Makes you wonder why you buy this crap in the first place.

I have already stripped the pump once and got it running again and except for a small leak at the cap end, I have the steering back. I guess I'll take the O ring to a shop uptown and see if I can get the closest size by measurement.

Thank you kindly,

Gerry