Timing A MF 135

/ Timing A MF 135 #1  

ArcherXC

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 Massey Ferguson 135
I have a 1965 MF 135 with a Z145 Continental gas engine. I am in the process of tuning it up and have run into a problem. I can't find the timing mark. On the block there are marks labeled TDC and I think I can read IGN on the other one. But I can't find any timing reference mark on the flywheel. I have looked all over and can't find it. Does anyone have a picture to help me see where it is at and what it looks like. Also, I know the timing is supposed to be set a 6 degrees BTDC. Is that what the IGN mark is that is before the TDC mark on the block? Thanks.

/ Timing A MF 135 #2  
I have a 1965 MF 135 with a Z145 Continental gas engine. I am in the process of tuning it up and have run into a problem. I can't find the timing mark. On the block there are marks labeled TDC and I think I can read IGN on the other one. But I can't find any timing reference mark on the flywheel. I have looked all over and can't find it. Does anyone have a picture to help me see where it is at and what it looks like. Also, I know the timing is supposed to be set a 6 degrees BTDC. Is that what the IGN mark is that is before the TDC mark on the block? Thanks.

When is your owners manual coming?

/ Timing A MF 135
It should be delivered in about 2 weeks. I was just hoping I could get the timing done before then.

/ Timing A MF 135 #4  
Let me say I'm more familiar with the Z120 and the Z129 Continentals but not the 134 0r 145. Does the Z145 have a hole with a slot to view the flyheel located uner the starter? Where is the TDC mark you refer to located on the block. If it's near the crankshaft pulley, look for marks on the crankshaft pulley itself. Regarding the fly wheel, rotate the engine by hand a few degreeds at a time and look though the hole for the timing marks. Usually TDC is marked and then there are degree marks on both sides.

/ Timing A MF 135 #5  
It should be delivered in about 2 weeks. I was just hoping I could get the timing done before then.

Where did you order it from?

/ Timing A MF 135 #7  
   / Timing A MF 135
Don't have to check. Have the receipt in hand from a company that many recommend from this web site.

/ Timing A MF 135 #9  
Jerry/MT I found a posting of yours on another site and worth reposting here to answer Archer's question. I hope you don't mind. I thought it was well worded.

Jerry/MT posted in 2008 on Yesterdays Tractor:

Make sure you have a good spark first. Pulll the wire off the center of the distributor cap and hold it near a good ground while you try a start. Yu should see a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning. If you don"t have that, you need to find out why. Could be poorly set points, oily or corroded or burned points, bad connections, bad coil, bad key switch, bad condensor, etc. No sense checking the timing if you have a wak spark.

Once you verify that you have a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, here"s the method I use to set the timing.

The easy way to check/set the timing is to get the engine"s #1 cylinder on the compression stroke. To do this remove the spark plug and tap the starter to crank the engiena bit at a time and hold your thumb over the spark plug hole. (Unless you have arms the length of a gorilla, it may take another person to run the starter.) When you feel th slightest bit of pressure on your thump, you are starting the compression stroke. Stop cranking and rotate the engine witha wrench on the crankshaft pulley or by pulling on the fan belt till the timing mark lines up with the reference mark and stop. The engine is now in the timing position. Open the distributor and the rotor should be pointing near to the #1 plug terminal. Put the cap bak on "cuz it"ll need to be there for the rest of the job.

Next, take a paper clip or a bent piece of wire, and put in in the #1 spark plug boot, making sure it touchs the metal clip. Loosen the hold down bolt on the distributor, but no too much. You just want to rotate the distributor. Tun on the key and holding the #1 spark plug wire with the paper clip near a good ground, rotate the distributor back and forth til you hear the spark snap. At that point you are statically timed. You may have to do it several times to get it right and when you do, carefully tighten down the hold down bolt, put the spark plug back in the #1 hole and connect the plug wire. Start the tractor and check the timing at idle. Also rev the engine and note that the centrifugal advance is advancing the spark.
Your rough carb settings are 1-1/4 turns out on the big power jet screw and 1/2 turn out on the idle air control screw. Once you get it running and warmed up you can do the final adjustment.

Jerry, you asked about the hole. Yes there is a hole below the starter. It has a spring plug in it that can easily be removed with a screwdriver. I took a picture of it. My tractor is a 1965 Z145. Looka there credit again four years after you posted it. :cool2:

View attachment 291906

/ Timing A MF 135 #10  
Jerry/MT I found a posting of yours on another site and worth reposting here to answer Archer's question. I hope you don't mind. I thought it was well worded.

Jerry/MT posted in 2008 on Yesterdays Tractor:

Make sure you have a good spark first. Pulll the wire off the center of the distributor cap and hold it near a good ground while you try a start. Yu should see a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning. If you don"t have that, you need to find out why. Could be poorly set points, oily or corroded or burned points, bad connections, bad coil, bad key switch, bad condensor, etc. No sense checking the timing if you have a wak spark.

Once you verify that you have a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, here"s the method I use to set the timing.

The easy way to check/set the timing is to get the engine"s #1 cylinder on the compression stroke. To do this remove the spark plug and tap the starter to crank the engiena bit at a time and hold your thumb over the spark plug hole. (Unless you have arms the length of a gorilla, it may take another person to run the starter.) When you feel th slightest bit of pressure on your thump, you are starting the compression stroke. Stop cranking and rotate the engine witha wrench on the crankshaft pulley or by pulling on the fan belt till the timing mark lines up with the reference mark and stop. The engine is now in the timing position. Open the distributor and the rotor should be pointing near to the #1 plug terminal. Put the cap bak on "cuz it"ll need to be there for the rest of the job.

Next, take a paper clip or a bent piece of wire, and put in in the #1 spark plug boot, making sure it touchs the metal clip. Loosen the hold down bolt on the distributor, but no too much. You just want to rotate the distributor. Tun on the key and holding the #1 spark plug wire with the paper clip near a good ground, rotate the distributor back and forth til you hear the spark snap. At that point you are statically timed. You may have to do it several times to get it right and when you do, carefully tighten down the hold down bolt, put the spark plug back in the #1 hole and connect the plug wire. Start the tractor and check the timing at idle. Also rev the engine and note that the centrifugal advance is advancing the spark.
Your rough carb settings are 1-1/4 turns out on the big power jet screw and 1/2 turn out on the idle air control screw. Once you get it running and warmed up you can do the final adjustment.

Jerry, you asked about the hole. Yes there is a hole below the starter. It has a spring plug in it that can easily be removed with a screwdriver. I took a picture of it. My tractor is a 1965 Z145. Looka there credit again four years after you posted it. :cool2:

View attachment 291906

Kid,

I wasn't sure where the timing marks are for the Z145 but the timing procedure I described works for any engine with a dsitributor. Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting it.