Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners #1  

avc8130

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
I have the opportunity to "upgrade" my L39 to an L45 at a rather attractive offer. My L39 has 680 hours and the L45 has 205. Both are equipped similarly, but my L39 has 3rd function hydraulics and a soft cab w/ heat.

I'm seeking advice and words of wisdom from those who may have made the same "upgrade" from the L39 to the L45.

My initial concerns:
1. Lose my 3rd function (just means I have to spend the $800 again and do the install)
2. Lose my soft cab ($1300 to replace)
3. The HST. While everyone seems to swear these things are the cat's meow, I live on a hilly property. I have the luxury of having both machines at my house right now. I was disappointed when I had to stop, shift to L and then continue to make it up one of my hills with the machine unloaded. Nothing in the bucket, no brush hog running, nothing. Then at the top of the hill I had to stop again to shift back to M to resume a reasonable ground speed. With my GST I would have just flicked the gear lever down at the bottom of the hill (if even necessary) and then back up at the top. No stopping, no waiting. I need to go out and move some pallets with the L45. I think the fine adjustment without having to use the clutch will be nice with the HST.

Enough of my rambling. Anyone else make the swap and care to share their experience?

ac

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners #2  
Well I haven't made the switch but I do have a B21 with HST and an L39 with GST. I like the HST yet find I can do most everything with the GST. You do understand that on an HST the less peddle the more torque? It seems unnatural that you would need to shift ranges unless the hill is very sever. Beware...when you shift ranges on a grade the HST goes to a neutral range for a moment. My wife learned that the hard way as she free wheeled down a hill one time.

MarkV

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners #3  
I haven't made the swap, but have run the GST on an L35 rental for a few weekends a few years back.

I do find it odd that you're having to go from M to L to tackle a hill, unloaded, down at sea level with the L45.

Sounds like you're pretty efficient with the GST, and have the machine set up the way you want it. I guess the biggest question is why are you considering the L45? What, if anything, are you unhappy with on the L39 that you think the L45 will be better at? Those questions should tell you whether to make the move or not, since both machines are so close overall, outside of the transmission differences.

I live on sloped property at 8500' above sea level, and am very happy with the HST. I figure my discomfort with the L35 on my property was my inexperience with the GST, but the HST has been flawless on my slopes, for what it's worth. Also, the hp to weight ratio is better on the 30 hp HST than the 35hp GST commercial unit, so that may have also had something to do with shaping my opinion. The L39 to L45 should be a wash, if not slightly better hp-weight ratio for the L45, taking the HST into account.

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners
Sounds like you're pretty efficient with the GST, and have the machine set up the way you want it. I guess the biggest question is why are you considering the L45? What, if anything, are you unhappy with on the L39 that you think the L45 will be better at? Those questions should tell you whether to make the move or not, since both machines are so close overall, outside of the transmission differences.

Well, the GST can be a "handful" at times. There are a lot of motions to get the symphony just right. It also takes some concentration/practice in/around tight spaces. My wife is also a bit terrified of the GST. I like having equipment she is capable of operating if the need arises.

I think the real reason I was considering it is because EVERYONE talks about how much better the HST is. The extra width would be nice for dealing with my hills also. I don't have a lot of tight areas, and if I did I would just widen them.

So if I want to climb a hill with the HST, I should ease up on the peddle? I assume that only works with the auto-throttle off and the machine operating at a set throttle?

ac

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners #5  
IMG_0591.jpgIMG_0588.jpgIMG_0586.jpgIMG_0573.jpg
Well, the GST can be a "handful" at times. There are a lot of motions to get the symphony just right. It also takes some concentration/practice in/around tight spaces. My wife is also a bit terrified of the GST. I like having equipment she is capable of operating if the need arises.

I think the real reason I was considering it is because EVERYONE talks about how much better the HST is. The extra width would be nice for dealing with my hills also. I don't have a lot of tight areas, and if I did I would just widen them.

So if I want to climb a hill with the HST, I should ease up on the peddle? I assume that only works with the auto-throttle off and the machine operating at a set throttle?

ac
Yes, Just ease up on the peddle. I pull a Wood 84 box blade full, up a hill sometimes in M with no problem. My hill/Mountain is large and steep over 1000 feet.

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners #6  
I have the L45 and LIVE on a hill. It goes up the driveway which is a steep hill no problem in med range and in low on the steering colloum shifter. The auto throttle is on all the time, unless i am using the pto. Very happy with my L45. Although i can't compare to the l39 because I have never used that model.

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners
I'm going to have to drive it around a bunch more tonight/tomorrow to see. This is a unique experience being able to compare them side by side for me.

ac

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners #8  
As an HST B21 owner who upgraded to an HST B26 and then this year to an L45 I would like to point out that the L45 does not have HST. The L45 has Kubota's HST+ with features that are not available on HST tractors I have driven:

1) HST+ has a feature called Auto-Down Shift. You need to press the HST mode button until Auto DS light up on the side panel to turn this feature on. When engaged, if you start up a hill in M range and the transmission senses too much load it will automatically (without you stopping or pressing the clutch) shift to a lower range and climb the hill and when you reach the crest it will also shift automatically back into high range. It sounds to me like AC does not have this turned on because I have gone up many steep hills on my porperty in M and Auto DS has never failed me. Check the side panel of the tractor - if the green light for Auto DS is not lit, than press the HST mode button until it is. I have left it on for months and never had a problem. Note that Auto DS works in all three ranges so you have Low-Low, Med-Low, High-Low and Low-High, Med-High and High-High. I think of it as being similar to the transfer case on full size pickups - but you have to stop and shift into neutral to switch ranges on a pickup - Kubota HST+ does it without any operator intervention. If you don't want to leave Auto-DS on, there is an orange (why that colour?:)) lever on the left side of the steering column. As you are driving, if you push this spring loaded lever down, the L45 will immediately shift into low range (the turtle will light up on the side panel) and if you then flick the lever up the L45 will shift back to high and the rabbit will light up on the side panel.

2) HST+ includes auto throttle advance which means when you are doing loader work the HST+ pedal operates like the accelerator on your car. Press forward and the engine revs up and away you go - press harder and the engine goes faster and so do you! You only need to use the manual throttle when you are operating the backhoe.

3) HST+ also features a rotary knob that allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the HST+ when you change directions or come to a stop. If you dial it up to the most sensitive, as soon as you realease the pedal the tractor comes to an abrupt stop - too abrupt for me. Turn it all the way the other way and it stops much more slowly - I have left mine in the middle which works fine for me.

4) HST+ has a feature called Stall Guard which means if you push into a pile to fill the bucket rather than the engine stalling the transmission will reduce force. This is also enable by pushing the HST mode button. If you push it repeatedly you can eventually get Auto-DS and Stall Guard both lit up at the same time on the side panel.

There is a good YouTube video on Kubota HST+ which demonstrates all the features and how to activate them. The video also talks about Cruise Control which is on some HST+ Kubota tractors but that feature is not on the L45 so don't waste time trying to find it!

As to why an L45 over an L39 here are a few reasons:

1) Personally I hated the L39 GST transmission. When I purchased my B26 three years ago I wanted an L45 but finances at the time did not permit it. My dealer had a used L39 on his lot with less than 200 hours on it that he offered me for $2,000 more than the B26 which had about 180 hours on it. I wanted that 10' hoe but after trying the GST I said no way and went with the B26. It cost me a few thousand dollars more to wait and get the L45 but the original owner of the L39 traded it for an L45 because even after almost 200 hours of GST he was prepared to take the loss to get HST+. That used GST equipped L39 is still sitting on the dealers lot three years later - no one will take it once they try an L45.

2) I do not know the technical details but I have read a couple of posts on here indicating that the L39 front axle is a little weak for the loader capacity and that the L45 has a beefed up front axle.

3) If you use the backhoe a lot as I do you are going to love the creep to repostion feature on the L45. When you are ready to move along your trench no spinning the seat just reach down beside you and push the lever in the direction you want to go. I smile every time I reach for it!

I apologize for the long post but I think you (and your wife) will love the L45 - especially after using GST.

Good luck with your decision.

Lauren

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners #9  
Geez, after reading all of that, now I want an L45. :D

/ Seeking Words of Wisdom from Former L39/Current L45 Owners #10  
Sorry bandit - I only intended to get avc to spend his money! :)

Lauren