What 'grade' are hitchpins?

/ What 'grade' are hitchpins? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I am thinking of making some hitchpins that are longer than commercially available and it occurred to me that they might be hardened as in grade 5 or grade 8 or whatever. It never got thought about but I just assumed they were just cold rolled steel as in grade 2. Seems a harder grade would tear apart the drawbar hole that would likely be just plain old barstock and grade 2 ? Anyone have any ideas about this?

/ What 'grade' are hitchpins? #2  
Drawpin hardness varies more or less with price. Generally, yellow zinc plated pins are soft and those with black oxide fiinish are quite a bit harder. How soft, how hard? Can't answer definitively.

/ What 'grade' are hitchpins? #3  
I think the softest hitch pins are Gr4 -- the ones with the swinging handles. I prefer that form, altho I wouldnt mind them being harder like the ones with red or blue rigid handles.
larry

/ What 'grade' are hitchpins? #4  
good ones are definately hard, twisted more yellow pins into pretzels than I can count. A325 bolts work pretty good, they are better than the yellow pins, mild steel will not hold up to heavy use. I haul baler and hay wagon, or chopper and forage wagon. Mild steel may be OK if you are hauling a small implement or something light.

/ What 'grade' are hitchpins? #5  
   / What 'grade' are hitchpins? #6  
I weld a 1.5" lock washer on the head of a grade 8 or a Supertanium bolt to make a hitch pin. We have bent others but never my homemade pins.

/ What 'grade' are hitchpins?
I weld a 1.5" lock washer on the head of a grade 8 or a Supertanium bolt to make a hitch pin. We have bent others but never my homemade pins.

I don't mind using a harder grade such as an 8 but I pull heavier tillage things that slop around or bounce and don't want to destroy my drawbar in an afternoon. If that black TSC pin shown above (and below) is grade 5 i guess that's what to go with?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/hitch-pin-1-in-dia-x-7-1-2-in-usable-length-0269078
Any thoughts now?

/ What 'grade' are hitchpins? #8  
My dad has had the same drawbar on his tractor for 50 years and he uses grade 8 pins.

/ What 'grade' are hitchpins? #9  
probably something like 4140 chromoly would be good, it is stronger than mild steel, but not all that hard. 4140L if I remember right has lead in it and is a little easier to machine and probably even softer.