jd 5220 lift arm ball

/ jd 5220 lift arm ball #1  

rfhjr

Tractor
John Deere 5220
I was writing to ask how to go about replacing a John Deere 5220 category II lift arm ball which has been lost. I know on some tractors these are held in with a pin but this one looks like there are welds on the lift arm. In looking online there are just the balls listed, weld on ball joint and a weld on ball with lift arm. I did not know which one should be used and if it is welded is it a matter of grinding the weld to put in the replacement. Thank you

/ jd 5220 lift arm ball #2  

Attachments

• balljoint.gif
    balljoint.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 702
   / jd 5220 lift arm ball #3  
I agree with JD5210 as it appears the draft link balls are replaceable/interchangeable Cat l or Cat ll

/ jd 5220 lift arm ball #4  
I am unsure about your model but I have welded on several on other tractors. Just measure back from center, cut and weld. I prep the new piece with a bevel leaving about 3/16" landing, then cut and grind lift arm. I use 7018 3/32". But if a new can popped in that puppy that's easier!!!!

/ jd 5220 lift arm ball #5  
Had one that was drilled for Cat 1 on one side and Cat 2 on the other side....same ball. Had ball split and fail. Wound up taking a PortaBand saw and cut "lip" off around ball. Bought a new Cat 2 ball, replaced it and welded "lip" back to arm. Seemed to work fine with no issues during the rest of my ownership. Total investment less than $50.