Looked at a MF 50 no power?

/ Looked at a MF 50 no power? #1  

Kenn1320

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS2030H
I went to look at a MF 50 tonight. Gas engine and he stored it outside. There was snow/sleet coming down and I didnt see any evidence he had gone out and started it prior to me getting there(good thing). So he pulls the choke and it fires right up. I was thinking thats a good sign. The hydraulics barely lifted the bush hog, he said its always slow when its cold out. Then they were stuck and wouldnt go down, hmmmm. I took it for a spin(it had idled at a fairly high idle for 3min probably). I ran it thru all the gears in low, no problem, but when I applied the brakes the tractor almost stalled, it didnt idle up(govenor?). I put it in reverse and put it in high gear, let out the clutch slowly and the tractor died. It fired right back up and I went forward a bit and then back into reverse and again it wanted to die, but I pushed in the clutch to keep it from stalling. I took it back to him and told him it doesnt have any power. He said he only uses it in low range, always did what he wanted it to do. Im not a tractor guy, but didnt like that and told him I wasnt interested. Sounds like it might be way down on compression? Whats your thoughts?

/ Looked at a MF 50 no power? #2  
I went to look at a MF 50 tonight. Gas engine and he stored it outside. There was snow/sleet coming down and I didnt see any evidence he had gone out and started it prior to me getting there(good thing). So he pulls the choke and it fires right up. I was thinking thats a good sign. The hydraulics barely lifted the bush hog, he said its always slow when its cold out. Then they were stuck and wouldnt go down, hmmmm. I took it for a spin(it had idled at a fairly high idle for 3min probably). I ran it thru all the gears in low, no problem, but when I applied the brakes the tractor almost stalled, it didnt idle up(govenor?). I put it in reverse and put it in high gear, let out the clutch slowly and the tractor died. It fired right back up and I went forward a bit and then back into reverse and again it wanted to die, but I pushed in the clutch to keep it from stalling. I took it back to him and told him it doesnt have any power. He said he only uses it in low range, always did what he wanted it to do. Im not a tractor guy, but didnt like that and told him I wasnt interested. Sounds like it might be way down on compression? Whats your thoughts?

Pass, There's plenty more out there.