Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch

/ Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch #1  

geoffburnham

A year ago, I purchased a used Kubota 7500 from a guy who does buying and selling on the side. When I bought this tractor, he had just gotten it in and sold it to me the next day. The guy, who is not a dealer, told me the one issue it had was that it needed a new fuel shutoff solenoid. He said the way I could shut it off was to lower the throttle, turn the key off and then pull the engine stop switch below the key. Sure enough that will stop the engine without any issues. However, now a year later, i was considering fixing the issue and was researching the cost and availability of the part. When I called the local dealer, he said he spoke to one of the mechanics who told him this model IS shut down by pulling the Engine shut off switch, not by just turning the ignition key off... can anyone confirm this? If its supposed to shut down using just the key, then I will fix it or have it fixed over the winter but it seems a bit unusual to not be able to just use the key to shut it down, especially since I had an older model Kubota that shut down using just the key.. thanks for any information or help...

Geoff

/ Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch #2  
I have a B7500 that I purchased new in 2004. The dealer is correct. To shut off this model, you turn off the key, which shuts off the electricity to the engine, then pull out the fuel shut off lever and knob. There is nothing wrong with this method.

/ Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch #3  
As far as I know B7500's only have the mechanical fuel shut-off no solenoid. Age has nothing to do with it, the B7500's were more of a no frills type machine vs something like the B2710 of the time.

/ Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch
GREAT!! appreciate the information... I figured the dealer had nothing to gain by telling me otherwise, but I was just surprised that Kubota does it that way...any idea what the advantage would be of doing it that way?? Seems a little backwards ... and why change from the normal way?

/ Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch #5  
GREAT!! appreciate the information... I figured the dealer had nothing to gain by telling me otherwise, but I was just surprised that Kubota does it that way...any idea what the advantage would be of doing it that way?? Seems a little backwards ... and why change from the normal way?

It saves a component that has a tendency to break. My L4200 has had a dead fuel shutoff solenoid ever since I got it in 2005. I've been pulling the shutoff knob to turn my machine off for 7 years now. I've always planned to replace the solenoid, but realistically, I don't know if I ever will.

JayC

/ Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch #7  

The normal way had been mechanical shut-off, solenoids are the new fangled way. They also add expense to a machine that people always want for cheaper, so to give them a cheaper machine you cut creature comforts.

/ Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch #8  
For years diesels have always been a mechanical lever for shutdown, is is because of goverment regulations for the safety switches on the PTOs and seats that made them add a solenoid shutdown method.

David Kb7uns

/ Kubota 7500 question about ignition switch
HI Dave, ordinarily I would agree with that presumption, but my older Kubota had a solenoid shut off, but my newer one doesn't... think that it was likely a cost consideration too...in any case, I am fine with the mechanical shut off.. just figured during the relative "off season" I would replace the solenoid, but as the saying goes, 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it" have a great Holiday!!!

geoff