tractor will not shut off

/ tractor will not shut off #1  

johnlankford

Tractor
1996 john deere model 5400
My 1996 john deere model 5400 with 903 hrs.would not shut, so I used the diesel shut off valve next to the fuel filter to shut down.
So far, it seems that maybe the electric solenoid on the injection pump has malfunctioned. If this is true, how can I isolate this as the
problem, and can I replace the solenoid without having the pump completely rebuilt.

/ tractor will not shut off #2  
I'm not familiar with this tractor but a quick search on Ebay shows that the solenoid can be bought for less than $50. The solenoid should have 12 volts to it when the key is on and you should be able to hear it click "on" when power is applied.

/ tractor will not shut off #3  
Check and make sure you have good ground at battery. I had a tractor do this once and the was the problem. Good luck.

/ tractor will not shut off #4  
The other place to check before digging deeper is the ignition switch. Use a simple volt meter to see if it is working properly. It could have an internal short keeping the solenoid energized. Another thing to try is to disconnect the wire for the ignition switch to the solenoid - if that cuts the flow, then you have the answer. Hope this helps.

/ tractor will not shut off #5  
:welcome:

/ tractor will not shut off #6  
I had this problem earlier in the fall. I too had to use the manual shutoff by the solenoid.
Time for a new battery. All is well!

/ tractor will not shut off #7  
I had this problem earlier in the fall. I too had to use the manual shutoff by the solenoid.
Time for a new battery. All is well!

The battery being bad can indeed cause this. My tractor last year while out in -12F temps, it barely started and then wouldn't shut down. The battery didn't have enough juice to kick the solenoid and shut off the fuel flow. It was a head scratcher for a while! After putting in a different battery with full charge, it would start and stop like normal. Who would have thought ? And that battery was practically new ... it was just put into service in 1999 ....