Pasquali 993 charging issue

/ Pasquali 993 charging issue #1  

Shadow99

Silver Member
Tractor
Pasquali 993 w/FEL, Economy2414 w/FEL
I've got a Pasquali 993 with the 30hp Ruggerini 2cyl, it uses old-school alternator with separate voltage regulator. Noticed after installing some aux. lights, that it was not charging the battery. Put load-meter on it, & at 2500rpm had 13.3vdc & 4.3 amp-output, at max rpm of 3000 had only 13.7vdc @ 5 amps. Saw in an old PDF manual that it should be 14.8vdc & 18 amp output @ 3000rpm. But the manual is very-vague as to whether to go after the voltage-regulator or the stator-windings/de-magged rotor.
I ohmmed out the 3 wires coming out the stator (2 yellows & red), got continuty between 1 yellow & red. Manual shows 2 yellows tied together when checking for open-circuit across the red, but that doesn't make sense to me. Their is no continuty between the 2 yellows themselves, & nothing for all 3 to ground. What do you think? Toasted voltage regulator or stator issues?
Thanks Guys!

Shadow

/ Pasquali 993 charging issue
Found the stator bad, only have output on one set of windings. Checked for AC output between the 2 yellows & red (common), one yellow & red gives about 40vac, while the other yellow to red gives me nothing. Not looking forward to that tear-down either, gonna have to wait till spring.

Shadow

/ Pasquali 993 charging issue #3  
Hi Shadow, When you get the time to fix it - I carry that alternator in stock. The Italian charging systems are a bit weak for any auxillary lighting, but adding LED's to the system usually works. Most people never run the machines full out, so charging is minimal most of the time. Additional lights (if used much) end up on the negative side of the charging equation. In spite of the few quirks they have though, they sure are a great tractor.

Last edited:
   / Pasquali 993 charging issue
I will keep you in mind when spring comes around. I HAD to add auxillary lights, cause with the stock headlights & FEL, all you do is light-up the back of the bucket. So I mounted some 35w fog lights up high on my "cozy-cab" so I could see what's going on up front & a small backup light off the seat bracket for the 3pt.
I was thinking I might be able to fit a small 35amp alternator under the front-grill & drive the alternator off the pulley behind the hydraulic pump, (I believe it was the optional tach-drive pulley). That would give me more than enough amperage to keep things happy, that's if I can get it to fit without any serious modifications.
Thanks,
Shadow

1201121133b.jpg

/ Pasquali 993 charging issue #5  
This is a picture found on eBay a few years ago...not mine at all. They made the setup a bit more complicated with the idler pulley so that they could continue to use the tachometer. I would bet the tach drive...like most... did not work anyway. I would be concerned that there is not enough RPM to run properly with such a small drive pulley.

Joe

Ruggerini with alt.jpg