TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working...

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working... #1  

mackendw

Tractor
New Holland TZ25DA
Fired up the boomer this morning and the tach and hour meter have stopped working.

Checked the connections @ the alternator and they seem tight. No fuses blown - check the 3 std fuses anyway.

Anything else to try before getting soaked @ the dealer?

thx for any insight.

Wendell

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working...
I see that there is a cable that runs to the cluster/tach. SBA385350240 part #. If I dis-connect the cable from the tach and start the tractor, under normal working conditions, the end that connects to the tach SHOULD spin correct? Can someone confirm this before I purchase it as a first attempt at resolving this issue?

thx.

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working... #3  
The cable should spin....correct. There's actually a few parts to that system.
I would fire the tractor up and see if the cable spins. If it doesn't, I would pull the cable completely off. This way you can grab one end of the cable and spin it to see if the other end spins. The reason why I say this is looking at the parts diagram, there is a gear that runs off of the cam gear that runs your tachometer cable. That gear could have a problem also. You'll have to take the cable off anyways.....might as well check all options.

If the cable does spin when you start the tractor us, there is an elbow on the back of your gauge cluster that could be having the issue. I would look at that as a suspect.
Looks like Tractor Help has the parts a bit cheaper than anyone else I found.
Replacement parts for the New Holland TZ25DA Tractor

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working...
The cable should spin....correct. There's actually a few parts to that system.
I would fire the tractor up and see if the cable spins. If it doesn't, I would pull the cable completely off. This way you can grab one end of the cable and spin it to see if the other end spins. The reason why I say this is looking at the parts diagram, there is a gear that runs off of the cam gear that runs your tachometer cable. That gear could have a problem also. You'll have to take the cable off anyways.....might as well check all options.

If the cable does spin when you start the tractor us, there is an elbow on the back of your gauge cluster that could be having the issue. I would look at that as a suspect.
Looks like Tractor Help has the parts a bit cheaper than anyone else I found.
Replacement parts for the New Holland TZ25DA Tractor

OK, sounds like a good plan. From your answer, you've done this before... Is there much tear down in removing the cable and gear from the cam gear? From the diagram, the tachometer end doesn't appear to be much trouble. Is this something a relative tractor newbie could attempt successfully?

thx for your help.
W. MacKenzie

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working... #5  
I haven't actually done the repair myself. I've diagnosed enough and seen enough on other tractors to have a decent idea of what's going on with it though.

As for doing the cable, I wouldn't see too many issues for a newbie. We've all been there. It's all abotu taking about something that's just a little bit outside of your comfort zone. That's how you'll learn. Not too far out of the zone....just a little bit.

On the gear, that's quite a bit more involved. Just depends on what you're comfortable with. Basic mechanical skills can get you there. Just need to be methodical in what you do.

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working... #6  
My T1010 did the same thinig yours did. I was cutting the grass and looked down and noticed the tach wasn't working and neither was the hour meter. I thought the worst.... checked fuses too. Turned out to be the tach cable. The rod inside the cable broke and I replaced it. I put an entry in this forum somewhere.

I think it cost me 20 bucks from the dealer. Removed the 4 screws holding the console and was able to lift it up far enough to get my hands up under the dash to unscrew the cable. The connector at the engine end was tough to get at but with a flat screwdriver i could get it loose and spin it off. Wasn't bad.

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working... #7  
My 03 TC55DA hour meter quit working some time ago. The tachometer works but not the hour meter. I wonder if the meter is electronic, therefore not driven physically by the cable. I'm not sure where to begin looking to do some trouble shooting.

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working... #8  
RPM / hour meter not working on the New Holland TZ25DA. Figured the cable broke and ordered a new one from the dealer. Removed the old cable, yes, it had snapped. Installed the instrument side of the new cable and tried to rotate by hand. Wouldn't budge. Took the gear assembly off the back of the rpm/hour meter. The gear on the assembly turns freely. Tried turning the gear on the meter. Won't budge. Happy I checked the gear prior to completing the install and firing up the engine. I would have snapped the new cable. Called the dealer. The replacement is a whole new instrument cluster...just short of $900!!! I'll see if I can't locate a used one from a tractor junk yard. I'd like the tractor to be function as it should; however, $900 to show the RPMs and run hours? I'm thinking I'll just base my RPM's on sound and estimate the run hours. I'd rather put the $900 toward another implement.

/ TZ25DA tach & hour meter stopped working... #9  
years ago my tack messed up also. my rpms would work but the hour meter didnt. i purchased a electric hour meter and wired it to the key switch so it would only be on when the key got turned on. they probably make a electric rpm meter now that you can put on your tractor so you wouldnt have to get a new cluster.