Comparison and price check

/ Comparison and price check #1  

Lowcountry17

Tractor
JD 5065E
The local Kubota dealer is offering the below packages. My questions are whether these are good prices and whether one of these options is obviously better than the other. They seem to be very similar tractors. As I've posted before, I'll be using the machine on 80 acres to maintain roads, plant food plots, maintain fire breaks, etc. Thanks for any advice.

New KUBOTA L4600DT COMES WITH: 46HP, 6ft Howse Box Blade, 6ft Howse Bush Hog and 20ft 7k Trailer! Includes Owner's Manual, Chains and Binders!
ONLY
$26,200 Cash
$27,200 Financed

New KUBOTA MX4700DT COMES WITH: 46 HP, 6ft Howse Box Blade, 6ft Howse Bush Hog and 20ft 7k Trailer! Includes Owner's Manual, Chains and Binders!
ONLY
$26,900 Cash
$27,900 Financed

/ Comparison and price check
I should add that both tractors also come with FEL's, though that's not listed in the description.

/ Comparison and price check #3  
Those prices seem good to me. One question: Not having ever trailered a tractor of that size myself, and not knowing the respective tractor weights, would a 7k trailer be adequate for that tractor & attachments? Looks like it might be close, especially if you load the tires.

/ Comparison and price check #4  
Those prices seem good to me. One question: Not having ever trailered a tractor of that size myself, and not knowing the respective tractor weights, would a 7k trailer be adequate for that tractor & attachments? Looks like it might be close, especially if you load the tires.

I would want a 10k trailer for this tractor.

/ Comparison and price check #5  
Both nice tractors and a pretty good deal, I think. They are both gear drive models, I think, which accounts for some of the savings. Both models also offer HST transmissions that can be very handy for FEL work, etc. Something to consider, but totally your preference. The MX4700 is quite a bit more tractor in weight, loader capacity, etc. I'd favor the MX for its stronger loader. I think you will have a problem with trailer capacity, particularly with the MX since an MX4700 + FEL + bucket + 1 implement will weigh almost 6,000 lbs. with no ballast in the tires. Since the trailer itself must weigh at least 1,000 lbs, you've already maxed out the 7,000 lb capacity. If you would only use it for occasional short hauls, it would probably be OK, but for long hauls and regular use, I'd want something bigger.

/ Comparison and price check #6  
Trailer is undersized just like all trailer packages. You need twin 5K or 6K axles with brakes on both axles for that large a tractor. Length is OK. As for price, ?????? That trailer with 3500# axles is worth maybe $2K and cost the dealer much less, so go from there. I recently bought a carhauler 12K rating for a bit over $3K and it is an excellent tractor hauler. I wouldnt buy a 20 foot trailer with 3500 axles as the trailer is going to be nearly 2000# so it leave you with a 5000+ or - weight. It is very easy to overload that with a 50 HP tractor with FEL, bushhog and box blade, add some ballast to the tires and you will be either over or right at the limit. I never like to push the limit on anything when towing. Check the tires on it, likely used passenger car tires also. Get a trailer with true trailer tires in 8ply or higher rating. A properly tired out 20 feet 12K rated trailer would have Load range E tires.
As for the tractors, they are likely priced about the same for same markup. Thing is do you need the cutter and box blade or is that just the deal. If you dont need a box blade dont look at the package deals. Most times they are designed to move equipment.

/ Comparison and price check #7  
I agree with Gary, my idea of a package deal is to give the dealer a list and then have him give me a package price.

/ Comparison and price check #8  
i 7k trailer will do fine i owned a 7k 16' doo little owned it for 11 years never a problem with it i hauled 8k on it it didnt have brakes pulled it with a 3/4 pickup i now have a 10k 20 foot i haul my 7040sud fel loaded rear tires cast centers im guest 8500ibs the tractor wieghts and has far as the tractor goes get the mx4700 go one size bigger then you need of tractor i been there done that i had an l3800 i traded it in

/ Comparison and price check #9  
Lowcountry,
About the trailers without getting in a pissing contest just do the math yourself. Find out what the tractor with fel and ballast will weigh and add the weight of any implement(s) you will need to transport to get a total weight. Then find the weight of the trailer and subtract this from the total capacity to get your payload capacity.

Just for reference a typical 20ft 7000 lb trailer will weigh about 2200lbs and have 4800 lb payload, a 20ft 10,000 lb trailer will weight about 2500lbs and yield a 7500lb payload. The small difference in cost is well worth it in my book.

/ Comparison and price check #10  
It's kind of hard to break down a package deal to tell what kind of deal you are getting. Alot of the time the trailers are not very good. I agree that a 7k is not enough for either tractor. Make sure the trailer has brakes on at least one axle but preferable both. Also make sure the trailer has a good set of axles like Dexter under it. I have heard of too many problems with the Chinese axles. Do the tractors have a quick attach on the loader? What kind of tires are on the tractor? I am going to guess and say the Box Blade is worth $700, the rotary cutter $1200-1400. 2 chains @ $40 each and 2 binders @ $20 each. So probably something like $2220 plus the trailer. The price can vary alot dependins on what kind of trailer it is ie: car or equipment. For the tractor go to kubota.com and build the tractor like it is configured. You can buy them all day long for 10-12% off, 15% or better is a good deal. Add it all up and see what it comes up to.