Wont start

/ Wont start #1  

montana bound

Tractor
Nortrac 20XT 20 HP 4WD
Hi
This is my first post.
I have a Nortrac XT 20HP 4wd tractor. I bought it new last summer , it has a whole 9.4 hrs on it.
My problem is I went to start it the other day to move some snow drifts,when I turned the key I get one click and that is it. I put the charger on the battery, the charger says the battery is good. The lights,horn etc all have power.Im in NE MT and the tractor is outside at this time . It was last run a week ago and ran fine.
The temps are very cold out but I keep it plugged in all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

/ Wont start #2  
Welcome! Sounds like it could be a safety switch?? Have you tried tapping on the starter solenoid?

/ Wont start
Yes Ive tapped it several times.
Could it be due to the cold temps?

/ Wont start #4  
Well if it went "Click", the safety is at least trying to complete the circuit to the starter.

I would first look in two places to troubleshoot this.
1. bad connections. Large positive wire running from battery + post to the starter. This connection needs to be good. Also the battery negative connection that runs to the frame. This is a common place of failure as the thing probably got installed onto a painted frame so it is only passing current thru contact with the threads of the bolt. I would reccomend pulling that bolt and getting the frame cleaned to bare metal where the terminal lug makes contact. You can cover it with silicone grease to keep it from rusting and maintain a good contact.
2. The starter is probably still full of the Chinese "Yak Fat" lubricating grease which has turned to thick paste in the cold weather. This prevents the solonoid from stroking fully and making the major electrical contact to the starter motor. Heat from a lower radiator hose heater or circulating heater rarely makes it very far out into the starter to thin the grease.

One way to troubleshoot this is with a volt-ohm meter. Connect one lead to that large positive wire where it connects to the starter, and the other to the chassis. You should see battery voltage. Now watch the meter and try and start the engine, You should see a major drop in voltage if current is being fed thru the starter motor. no voltage drop means the solonoid is not making contact and is probably full of solid grease. You can also jump actoss those two large terminals on the solenoid with a big screwdriver to spin the starter motor, but be absolutely certain the tractor is in neutral. Diesels will start unintentionally this way and people have been crushed by their own tractor when this is done incorrectly.

If the voltage dosn't drop when you turn the key, or the starter spins/engine cranks using the screwdriver, you can try heating the starter/solenoid with a torch(not too hot, just warm) or blow dryer to loosen up the grease, but the best remedy is to remove the starter completely to the shop, strip it, clean out the crap grease and relube with proper grease...

Hope this helps.

/ Wont start #5  
...clean out the crap grease and relube with proper grease...
Hint: Don't use grease at all, use a graphite solution such as Lock-Eze or any good quality graphite aerosol spray.
Grease not only creates additional drag on the solenoid motor, but attracts dust and dirt like a magnet, and you don't want that.

/ Wont start #6  
I would also check the ground cable from the battery to where it attachs on the frame, if that is not it I have seen the clutch saftey switch freeze inside from moisture and will not let it make contact ( You can take a straight pin and push it thru both wires on the saftey switch to see if its a bad switch ). If all else fails, make sure the tractor is in neutral, and take a screwdriver to jump accross the big wire and the smaller soleniod wire, this will bypass the clutch switch and key switch

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ Wont start #7  
This is my first post also.....

If it only went 'click' once, you may have blown a fuse....or does it click each time you turn the key??

/ Wont start
Thank you guys for all the tips.
The tip that solved the problem was heating the starter for about 5 min with a torch.
I guess the yak fat was froze up. LOL

I really appreciate all the tips, everything out here is do it your self and the tips here really helped.
I was able to go out and clear the snow drifts from our access road.

Thank you very much

/ Wont start #10  
I had a problem where water leaked into the bell housing from sittin outside where the sun would melt the snow and than freeze after. Weephole was plugged causing ice around the flywheel gear! Sucks cause you have to drag the tractor into the garage to thaw! I thought it was the starter till I pulled it off and tried to spin the gear with no luck! Up hear in Saskatchewan it's not uncommon to dip to -40C with a windchill on top of that!!

Cory