Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday

/ Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Well, I know the 359 is a good saw and seems to have a good following as it is similar to the 357xp I believe.

I know xyz123 says good things about them.

Well...I had a chance to run one yesterday with a chain that I sharpened so I know it was good.

While it was a good runner, at only 1cc bigger, my 116si ate it for lunch. It felt an easy 10cc bigger in the cut. Both full chisel chain, and again, both of which were sharpened to MY specs. This was in 15-16" hickory. I was done with the cut and the 359 had at least 1/3 of the log left to go through.

I must say, there seems to be a magic threshold @ 60cc where every saw under 60cc that I have ran might as well be 45cc's. And that includes this 359, as well as my 112 and 115i dolmars and the 290 stihl that I have ran. Just not even in the same league. But up the cc's just a tad, like the 116si, my 6400, husky 365, and other low-mid 60cc saws, and its like a whole new game. Honestly, I cant tell much of a difference even between the 116si and 120si and they are 8cc's appart. But drop a tad under 60cc's....:mur:

Anyway, that is just my experience, so there you have it.

/ Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday #2  
The 359 is just a good solid firewood saw. But not very impressive. 357xp is faster in the cut... The new 555 that replaced it is much stronger/faster and the 562xp is just off the charts for a 60cc.

Now a ported 359 is a completely different beast! ;)

/ Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday #3  
   / Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday
Maybe I was mistaken??

I thought you were the one that said the 359 is the same platform as the 357xp, just de-tuned slightly?? Either way, if you havent ran one, you arent missing much.

/ Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday #5  
Not I.

Ran some woods ported 359's and race ported 359's and they run good for 59cc saws.

I rank a stock 357xp up there with big bore 346. Just heavier. Now a woods ported 357 56.5cc will cut pretty good. But even a 361 donr RIGHT will do better. JMO.

Not I.

Ran some woods ported 359's and race ported 359's and they run good for 59cc saws.

I rank a stock 357xp up there with big bore 346. Just heavier. Now a woods ported 357 56.5cc will cut pretty good. But even a 361 donr RIGHT will do better. JMO.

I could have swore it was you talking about the 359.

EH.....too many posts to try to remember. Either way, I wasnt impressed with it for being 59cc's. Felt like a 50cc saw. But then again, I am comparing to dolmars:laughing:

/ Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday #7  
A 346xp is right on the heels of a 359, but smaller lighter. The 359 will do better in larger wood, but the 346 will be faster in smaller wood. A ported 346 will flat out smoke a 359, not even close! :D

Stock form the 357 is noticeably faster than the 359. But I ran a Stump broke 359 last spring that was extremely impressive!!!

/ Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday #8  
I could have swore it was you talking about the 359.

Swear away but in the end you will still be wrong :p:laughing: and I still havent talked about or cut with a stock 359. :duh:

Well, after reading WAY too many old chainsaw posts just to try to figure out why I thought you mentioned the 359, I have came to the conclusion that it was BlueGill2 that had mentioned the 359 as being a good saw in the past. All thought the post I was reading did say his was ported.

I am certainly not saying it is a bad saw. Just not as quick as what I expected from 59cc's, and that my 25 year old 60cc saw ate it up;)

/ Got a chance to run a 359 yesterday #10  
Well after running 60cc dolmar myself in the past. I would rank them in the top 3 in the cut and bottom of pack for weight and balance. Meaning I wouldnt want to haul one all day carrying it and dropping it side ways etc. Bucking cuts in one place no problem.

But I sure like the torque those 60cc dolmars have in the cut. Very impressive. Just they are the size and weight of a 80cc saw.