Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor?

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor? #1  

Kenn1320

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS2030H
Im looking at tire chain prices and found that my tire size seems to be common with a truck tire. Mine are 33x12x16.5 tires on my subcompact. They physically look like a 33x12.50 my buddy had on his truck. Im guessing the 16.5 is the rim size? Comparing the 2(tractor versus truck) the difference is in the diameter of the chain cross section. I have to wonder why the truck chains, which are cheaper would not work well on a 1500# subcompact tractor? They are listed to be used for plowing snow on a truck and max speed of 20mph. The adjusters are also cheaper. Maybe this is a unique case, due to the common tire size?

Im comparing the Vbar style chain.

Tractor chains: 8.3-24 Tire Chains
$195.39 9.53mm cross chains
Spring adjusters $29.99
Truck chains: 33-12.50-16.5 Tire Chains
$125.16 7.14mm cross chains
Spring adjuster $19.90

Looks like with chains and adjusters its an $80 savings. The cross sectional difference is .094 thousands of an inch.

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor? #2  
if it were me i'd spend the extra $80 and get the more heavy duty chains.

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor? #3  
The truck chains will work fine. I just converted a very ratty old set of truck v-bars for my DK35 27x10.5-15's. They work great.

If you are considering ladder chains, 2-link ladder are much smoother (and expensive) than 4-link ladders.

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor?
The diamond pattern on New Holland home page looks sweet, but that is not offered in for my tire size unless I go the truck tire route and then its much thinner cross section chain. Even still, my application is much lighter duty then a F350 Superduty truck plowing snow with them.

New Holland USA - Tractors - Agricultural machinery - Combines, etc.

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor? #5  
Any chains are better then no chains. The truck chains may not last as long as the chains made for tractors...

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor? #6  
I put chains on my dump truck for plowing in the winter. Occasionally I'll rip a cross link off if I spin the tires. But the truck weighs almost 12k and has a lot more power than a sub compact. The V bars have worn down to the point where they are no longer doing much. That's from just driving on frozen gravel in about 5 years. A sub compact shouldn't put anywhere near the wear or force on them. I would be surprised if you didn't get 10 to 15 years (or more) out of a set.

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor? #7  
I'd probably do it. Can't think you'll be putting that much stress or wear on them, says the person that doesn't see much snow for winter. :laughing:

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor? #8  
As Roy said....

Just keep them tight.

/ Truck tire chains adequate for a tractor? #9