Chains on the Bolens G174

/ Chains on the Bolens G174 #1  

Rod in Forfar

Platinum Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 35DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510, 2020 Kioti Mechron 2200ps UTV Troy-Bilt Horse 2 1988 Case IH 255 4WD with loader and cab
In the barn I found a pair of tire chains my dad had for his 1968 Kaiser Military Surplus Jeep. They looked about the right size, so I tried them over the turf tires on the back wheels of the Bolens G174. It took four of those 2 1/2" ID twist-on links and two additional links from an old horse tug I found in the barn to fit them properly. The result seems to have adequate clearance and provides a massive improvement in rear-wheel traction in deep snow. I can always steer with the brakes if the front wheels can't keep up.

------------------------------------------

A fairly common low-cost logging rig a few years ago in Ontario was a Massey 35 hitched to a heavy trailer built from a truck rear end. The PTO hooked to the drive shaft on the truck, and away it went in 4WD. Some extremists actually removed the front axle of the tractor and rigged up a hitch which held the tractor level, supported only by the rear wheels. The drivers steered with the brakes. The reason this drive system would work with the old Massey Fergusons is that they had a PTO gear selection which matched shaft rev's to ground speed. With a bit of ingenuity a guy could synchronize the two axles on the improvised logging rig. Chains on all four wheels, of course.

Last edited:
   / Chains on the Bolens G174
Here's the Bolens G174 with a jeep's chains and a load of green ironwood. The chains greatly improved winter traction in return for a slightly rougher ride.

G174 Loaded.jpg

/ Chains on the Bolens G174 #3  
That looks great! How do you like the 3PH box that you have on the back? I had looked at those in the past, and I like them. I know that the same company makes a scoop, that acts like a loader bucket, but I am having a hard time finding one. I have the R1 ag tires on that give me pretty good traction, but I really should add some chains as well. Thanks for the photo, and info!