L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment?

/ L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #1  

lonestar382

I've searched several times, and can't seem to find the answer. I am working on my folks L2850 with a 2 stage clutch and am trying to adjust the clutch. The PTO works great, however the clutch doesnt disengage for the drive wheels until nearly fully extended. Thus far, the clutch doesn't ever slip, and i'd like to adjust it before that happens. Does anyone have the process to adjust the drive wheels portion of the 2 stage clutch? Or is the a replacement scenario.

Thanks
Corey Graham
PS hunting for an L5450/la1150a

/ L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #2  
Corey - I just finished doing a clutch adjustment on an L3250 dual stage - which I believe is the same as your L2850. Mine has the Kubota loader - the loader frame covers up the access to the adjustment cover. There are three adjustment bolts on the clutch assembly to compensate as the travel clutch wears. With the loader frame out of the way, you can adjust one bolt at a time. I put the tractor in high gear and jacked up one rear tire so the engine can be rolled by hand, bringing each bolt into position.

On my loader, the right half of the center subframe can be unbolted - I loosened the rear-most bolt under the axle but didn't remove it, the frame swung down - and went back into place easy later. I had taken off the rest of the loader first, but another time I'd try just taking out the wedge and dropping the right side of the subframe.

Attached is a copy of the manual page that covers dual clutch adjustment. It isn't great - but gives the general idea. The total amount of adjustment I made isn't much - about 1-2 full turns of each bolt. Made a nice difference - the travel clutch has 1"+ free play now and the pto still disengages when it should.

Attachments

• L3450 clutch adjust.pdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,898
Last edited:
   / L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment?
Thank you VERY much for that post! I've printed off the sheet and plan to take a look at it this weekend. I'm making several repairs to the tractor in addition to the clutch. It is very hard to start, so I am replacing the glow plugs, cleaning all connections etc. Also the front right axle lost all fluid on my trailer of all places. The bottom plug or seal came out. Fortunately it was in a highly visible location and I caught it prior to running dry. This site has been a big help for me!!!

/ L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #4  
There is some L-series axle seal replacement info here.

Edit - I just noticed your post about looking for an L5450. Low-hour units in good shape are getting pretty rare. Where are you located?

Last edited:
   / L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #5  
Corey, while I don't have an XX50 model, the adjustments listed in rbargeron's pdf file look identical to mine. I should mention that the inner adjustment of the three screws only affects the PTO clutch, the actual pedal free travel and drive clutch engagement point are adjusted on the rod under the floorboards.

When it says the pedal should have 20-30 mm free travel, that means that any pedal movement beyond that point will start to disengage the clutch. My L3400, which I know is adjusted correctly only engages the drive clutch in the last 2 inches or so of upward motion. That's one of the drawbacks (if you want to call it that) of having two separate clutches on a single pedal.

If you do adjust the PTO clutch while you're at it, you'll need a 14 mm open end wrench to tighten the lock nuts of the adjusters, and a 6mm open end wrench to turn the bolts, they have a square end, not a hex. Mark the original position for reference if you need it.

Whatever genius decided to put the loader bracket in front of the adjustment hole should be taken out and shot at dawn...

Sean

/ L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #6  
.......Whatever genius decided to put the loader bracket in front of the adjustment hole should be taken out and shot at dawn...Sean

No need to wait 'til dawn.....

/ L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #7  
If this post is still alive, I have some questions. Is the plate you make adjustment to PTO clutch through the same plate on right side of bell housing that one would view timing marks on fly wheel? On my 1988 L2550DT tracktor which needs PTO clutch plate adjusted, I see a plate on right side on the very front of bell housing. I took it off and hole to see inside the bell housing is small, oval about 2 inches tall and 1 inch wide right next to fly wheel. Is this the adjustment hole or is it further back? I understand I will have to rotate the fly wheel to see and make adjustment at each bolt. From what I have read there are three adjusment bolts, correct?

/ L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #8  
Welcome to TBN Walleyeboy....a thread comes to life when somebody posts to it (you) - and again when somebody else notices it and has a comment (me in this case). Sometimes it's right away, sometimes it can be weeks or months. Not much in common with smart phones or public media.

Anyway, the small 2-bolt oval plate you describe is what the Single-Clutch model has on the right side. The Dual-Clutch model has a deeper flywheel housing with a slightly larger rectangular 4-bolt plate in that location for access to the clutch. What this means is that your tractor does not have the dual clutch and therefore doesn't have the separate travel and pto adjustment. What is your clutch doing that you want to adjust it?

Attachments

• flywheel housing for dual clutch.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 891
  • flywheel for single clutch.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
   / L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #9  
When I try to engage the PTO, which is a lever that goes up and down, I hear grinding. Grinding occurs with the clutch in or out. I have tired putting everything in netural - 4WD lever, high/low lever, right hand gear lever, and left hand forward/reverse lever and PTO still grinds with clutch in or out. Therefore I figured I had a dual clutch that was out of adjustment. I have already adjusted the clutch pedal free plan to 1 inch, so now you need to push clutch pedal in an inch before you are able to change transmission gears. Not sure what else to do. Previous owner stated that he just had clutch replaced prior to me pruchasing, and I think he is being truthful. That clutch has less than 100 hours. I can put PTO into gear and then start tractor to prevent grinding damage, but that seems hard on starter and battery. Otherwise this tractor runs very good and all else works great.

Thank you for your reply and help.

/ L2850 dual stage clutch adjustment? #10  
Also, rbargeron looking at the pdf files you attached - the right side plate on my flywheel housing is a rectangle shape like the dual clutch flywheel housing but the actual hole is a oval and much smaller than the plate.