Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear.

/ Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear. #1  

calchef

Tractor
new holland tc29 tlb
hi ya'll,
2001 nh tc29, 4wd, 3x3 manual trans got stuck in gear.
i know the throw out bearing was going but i could still get
around and do small stuff.

then, my septic tank lids failed and was using the backhoe to expose
them and during that process went to move the tractor and
the darn thing wouldn't shift out of third.

horrible timing! i neeed er workin'
any feedback would be apprecitated. i need to move it to a place i can
break the tractor and do the repairs.

thanks,
steffan

/ Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear. #2  
Is your clutch pedal adjustment correct? That won't help if the throw-out bearing is really bad, but are you sure about that? If your clutch travel is far enough, with the engine off, you should be able to shift gears unless the throw-out bearing is total toast and missing thickness. If you disable the safety interlock on being in neutral, maybe you could start the tractor with the clutch depressed.

On my TC40 only one of the gear levers has to be in neutral, but I can't remember if it is the 1-4 gear lever, or the forward-reverse lever.

/ Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear. #3  
Can you put the range lever on the rear axle between ranges should allow you to pull it with a truck or another tractor

Dave

/ Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear.
i can roll the tractor with the clutch in but can't get it it out of gear.
not sure about the adjustment, will have to check.
i can also switch between ranges but have not tried rolling it while it's between them.
tractor will start with clutch in but i still can't get it out of gear.
is that a release bearing issue or something with the linkage?

/ Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear. #5  
Any luck? If the clutch works well enough to roll the tractor with clutch in, and start with clutch in, then it doesn't seem like the clutch is the problem. I have no idea why it would be stuck in a gear unless something inside the transmission is blocking the gears from shifting.

/ Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear. #6  
A bent linkage, selector fork, or mis-aligned gears can cause something to "stick" in. That's been my only experience.

after looking through the factory manual, i would have to agree with you pedalstomper.
is there anyway to get it unstuck without tearing the whole thing apart?

/ Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear. #8  
after looking through the factory manual, i would have to agree with you pedalstomper.
is there anyway to get it unstuck without tearing the whole thing apart?

Cal - I have a TC 29 -D and my clutch got stuck and a friend of mine fixed it without splitting it....You need to block your clutch pedal own when you park it...cut a piece of wood so that you can wedge it in to depress your clutch pedal while it is parked...that keeps it from getting rusty....Check this thread on TBN for the solution...2nd post down ...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/262099-mf-88-clutch-stuck.html

/ Need Help...tc29 stuck in gear. #9  
Brin, it's worth a shot, but the problem is that even with the tractor off, it doesn't sound like he can get it out of gear. This really sounds more like a transmission or linkage issue than a clutch issue. I can see a clutch sticking causing a tractor to have other issues, but he can roll the tractor just fine with the clutch disengaged. Tells me the clutch is working fune.

hey brin, thanks for that. i do keep the clutch blocked as it is. i really don't think it
is a clutch issue.

Pedalstomper...i think your more on point with this, it's got to be in the linkage or
gears inside the tranny. your right in that i can roll the tractor with the clutch in.
so the clutch is releasing the gears but i can't get the shifter out of gear.

needless to say, i don't think it's an easy fix. any advice on where to go from
here is greatly appreciated.
thanks for help guys.
steffan