TO30 Lift Weak & PTO Shaft Pulled Out

/ TO30 Lift Weak & PTO Shaft Pulled Out #1  

amazingfacts

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
I was using a post hole digger and the shaft pulled out about 3-4" on a couple of occasions and now the hydraulic levels are very low. Could this be the cause of a weak lift? Also I'm assuming the PTO shaft isn't supposed to pull out...could it have damaged anything inside? Possibly a bearing or seal? Thanks guys.

/ TO30 Lift Weak & PTO Shaft Pulled Out #2  
I was using a post hole digger and the shaft pulled out about 3-4" on a couple of occasions and now the hydraulic levels are very low. Could this be the cause of a weak lift? Also I'm assuming the PTO shaft isn't supposed to pull out...could it have damaged anything inside? Possibly a bearing or seal? Thanks guys.

No the pto shaft is not supposed to move outward. If the bearing retainer (4 bolts hold it in) stayed in place and the shaft moved out 3-4 inches then the snap ring must have broken or dislodged or the bearing itself failed. If it pulled out far enough it would disconnect ftom the pump and whip around in the compartment due to inertia and might have done some damge to the control valve and the control fork.

Take the four bolts out and pull the shaf and bearing housing out completely and inspect it. Open the compartment on the right side and check for damage inside the . You will have to drain out the fluid out be able to see the complete pump and linkages.

/ TO30 Lift Weak & PTO Shaft Pulled Out
Thanks for the quick reply and your feedback Jerry. I'll take off the retainer and take a look.

Also I'm having leaks from the bottom of the clutch bell when the tractor is positioned nose down or downhill. Do you know which seal may have to be replaced? Thank you again.

/ TO30 Lift Weak & PTO Shaft Pulled Out #4  
There are two sources for the leak you are describing; the engine rear main seal and the transmission input shaft seal. You have to split the tractor to fix either one. In your case it sounds like the tranny input shaft seal. You should e able to tell from the fluid that leaks.

/ TO30 Lift Weak & PTO Shaft Pulled Out
Ok thanks again Jerry. Is it easy to replace these seals once the tractor is split? Also where would I split the tractor? Behind the engine or in front of the seat?

Also I'm curious how the transmission/differential/hydraulic fluid fills up the hydraulic cylinder when it's place up higher? I'm assuming a tube somewhere inside...

One more thing, how do I remove the 2 PTO output seals? Do I need some type of puller?

Thank you again.