Intermitant frozen transmission - ?? -- IH 284 tractor complete puzzler (to me)

/ Intermitant frozen transmission - ?? -- IH 284 tractor complete puzzler (to me) #1  

escottpeterson

Tractor
IH 284
A newbie to the forum here with a question about my 1978 IH 284 gas tractor.

Earlier this winter I couldn't get it started, but today got it started after finding a bad wire between the coil and points. This meant the tractor sat in a cold shed (northern Minnesota) for a few months. When I started it today and tried to back up it was like the wheels were locked -- it wouldn't move. I tried forward and the same thing. Eventually it budged backwards but sounded like something was really, really tight. For what it is worth it was about 28 degrees when I started it.

I thought maybe there was water in the hy-trans fluid so drained it. The 284 takes about 3.4 gallons and I got pretty near that out. The fluid wasn't that lovely color of new fluid, but it wasn't milky or sludgy either. I didn't see any real noticeable water. I filled it back with new fluid (happened to come straight from the store so warm - if that means anything) and presto: works like a charm. Backed right up and feeling proud I went out ans started plowing the quarter mile drive with the grader attachment. Got most of it done (about 15-20 minutes) when it seemed like there was a loss of power and eventually the tractor stopped and I had the same thing I had experienced earlier. I couldn't go forward, or I would go forward in a jump and start (like a 16 year old driver trying to work a clutch on a car - a bit of a jump and stop). It also seemed at one point that one tire was trying to turn while the other was fixed -- caused the tractor to lurch to the left. For what it is worth it is now about 8 with a wicked wind at this point.

When I let the tractor rest shut off for a few minutes and started it up again I was able to go forward normally for about 50 yards, and then the same thing happened. I let it sit for a few minutes and then was able to get it back to the shed about 150 yards away relatively normally ... though it seemed like there wasn't a lot of power.

There are a few other (maybe not random) things I noticed. One, the brakes suddenly to not be working great. Everything else seems normal. Hydraulics worked fine. It wasn't hard to get the stick shift into gear. I had the rear tires changed (by a shop) before this happened. One rim had rusted through and had to be replaced. I ran the tractor once briefly before it stopped starting, so I don't know if there is any relationship to this most recent problem or not.

I am befuddled. Any ideas?

Thanks
ep

/ Intermitant frozen transmission - ?? -- IH 284 tractor complete puzzler (to me) #2  
I'm wondering if you have water in the Brakes as they are "wet brakes". Are the seals intact on the brakes? Maybe they didn't drain out. If you had water in the Trans and it was frozen it wouldn't have drained at all as the water would be on the bottom. Just taking a guess here.

/ Intermitant frozen transmission - ?? -- IH 284 tractor complete puzzler (to me) #3  
sure could be a brake issue....

heat her all up and try her out.

I bpought a ford trike with frozen hyds and frozen front steering pedistal out of N ga after a small snow flurry and we had a bear of a time trailering her...

/ Intermitant frozen transmission - ?? -- IH 284 tractor complete puzzler (to me)
Thanks. Would water in the brakes explain that when I stopped the tractor for a few minutes it would go forward again?

How could I check the seals? And if there is water does that mean draining all of the lines, etc.? How would I dry them out?

/ Intermitant frozen transmission - ?? -- IH 284 tractor complete puzzler (to me) #5  
The dust seals should be easy to see, follow the brake rods from the pedals to the rear and you should be able to find them.

/ Intermitant frozen transmission - ?? -- IH 284 tractor complete puzzler (to me)
thanks. I'll check tomorrow and post what I find. Appreciate it.

Hi again --
Was out of town so couldn't work on the tractor for a while. Today I jacked up the back end and the back wheels turn pretty easily, except at one point they get significantly tougher to turn.

The seals are intact, although when I disengage the bar that connects the two brake pedals the left pedal has play and the right one doesn't move at all.

Does this help at all with the diagnosis? Thanks.

/ Intermitant frozen transmission - ?? -- IH 284 tractor complete puzzler (to me) #8  
Click on this link, and it will take you to the
Case/IH partstore: Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Parts Search and Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

It will show you the assemblies of your braking system.

Unless that pedal is frozen on the pivot shaft from lack of grease, or the return spring is broken, could be the master cylinder.

Have you tried each brake separate to see what kind of brakes you have on each wheel.., and if they release?

I'm assuming when you say the left pedal has some play, but not the right, that they both do move when applied, but the left one has a little free play, when not locked together.

I'd check a broken return spring on the left pedal, or galded on the shaft from lack of grease. Last but least, the master cylinder. If the return spring is broken, it could let the pedal drop enough to actuate the brake just a bit, and cause what's happening, just from hitting small bumps, and the pedal moving just a bit.

Don't have one, but just looking at the assy., it does seem possible.