Chipper Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62

/ Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62 #1  

bhh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Looking at a Wallenstein BX42s or a BX62s for an L3800 HST which has 30.3 HP @ the PTO. The Wally specs give 35-40 HP for max capacity on the BX42s and 60-70 on the BX62s but I've read a lot of people are running the 42s on smaller 17-23 PTO HP machines. Anyone know what the price difference is between the two? I don't want to pay a lot more for capacity I can't use but it may be worth it if the specs are conservative or for easier material handling?

/ Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62
Cool, thanks. $800 difference. Might be worth it if I can actually use some of the excess capacity. I have a lot of old punky firewood and blow down that was left piled up by the previous land owners that I'm trying to cleanup in addition to just regular limbs and such. A lot of that punky stuff falls into the 4-6" range so I could probably process that but there is also a guy nearby who has a very large 12" chipper I could hire to process the bulk of the initial clean-up at which point, the Wally would be used for general maintenance. 40-acre woodlot.

Last edited:
   / Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62 #4  
I'd suggest getting the largest chipper that you can afford and your tractor will lift. I run a 6.5" Patu chipper with 24 pto hp. I can't chip a 6" log but the larger feed opening and heavier flywheel are big advantages. If you don't mind the cost, the BX62 should serve you quite well.

/ Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62 #6  
I have a 42 but if I knew what I know now I would have went with a 62. Nice for bigger bushy branches - they will have more room in the shoot plus when you have a big pinky "log" you can still send it down the shoot!

Good luck

/ Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62 #7  
I have the 42 on a 29hp tractor and i can feed it at capacity. It is possible to stall the tractor if i get a max size ultra hard log, but its rare. I think either would work.

/ Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62 #8  
I use a BX62 on my Case DX45, ~37 PTO HP. Stuff larger than 4 inches will tax the tractor. However, with the 6 x 12 opening, it self feeds very well. Last fall I was clearing a bunch of saplings, many 3-4 inches at the base. I would cut the trees at the ground, feed the base of the tree into the chipper and it would pull the whole thing in - no trimming required :thumbsup:.

I have also used it on my Kubota L39, ~30 HP PTO and it works fine with stuff under 4 inches.

/ Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62 #9  
I have a BXM 32 on a B2620 Kubota. I mention because of the mulcher function.
The "M" means it includes a mulcher for the smaller branches / twigs.
The 19pto hp B2620 runs it no problems in fact I run it at about 1600 rpm as do not need more.
It takes 2 people working around the chipper / mulcher to keep up with the machines capacity at 1600 rpm.

The mulcher was important to me as i have a lot of pine trees (small branches with needles) and twigs less than 3/4". Running the small stuff through a chipper is a recipe for disaster as it tend to plug/roll/curl around the blades of the chipper versus getting processed as it should. This includes if you have a lot of leaves still on the small branches.

Quality of the machine is excellent. Keeping the blades sharp is easy and really important to getting good performance.

Good luck and having a bigger machine on a bigger tractor is a luxery I simply do not have.

cheers

/ Wallenstein BX42 vs BX62 #10  
i have the bx62 on a 50 hp..works great other then feeding evergreen trees though it.Lots of sticky sap.cant feed to many evergreen trees at a time or it will plug the shoot but if the evergreen tree is some what dry it goes right though .when feeding evergreens i have to put some hardwood or branches in with it to keep the shoot clear.I dont think i would even consider buying the 4"..this thing works great in my sugar bush