Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e

/ Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
I started to install the intake preheater on my fathers 5045e today and have ran into some trouble with the wiring/instructions. The kit I got was the right part number for the 5045e, but it was an older kit and the instruction booklet was printed before the 5e series came out (it is also very unclear as to which wiring is used for which model.) I got the heating element installed, but am having trouble getting the relay hooked up and working. There is a green and a black wire with connectors that you are supposed to hook to the relay to activate it and I assume these are coming from the key. However, when you turn the key to the preheat spot there is no juice on either wire. Do I need to get into the harness somewhere else and hook up those wires to something? Am I doing it all wrong and a newer version of the manual would tell me to wire it differently? Any help would be appreciated, with the temps we are going to be having this tractor simply will not start without it. Thanks in advance.

/ Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e #2  
I have included the URL for the operators manual. You did not indicate you are pushing the key in.

The manual says, to activate cold weather starting device, turn key to RUN position, push in and hold for 10 or 15 seconds for temperatures above zero 30 seconds for temperatures below zero, before try to start.

OMSJ301048

/ Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e
Well, I never thought of that but I'll give it a try. There is a position between run and start on the key that makes an audible click and the preheat light come on the dash.

/ Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e #4  
Verticaltrx
Do you have a wire attached to the relay that has 12V's all the time??

Verticaltrx
Do you have a wire attached to the relay that has 12V's all the time??

The relay is wired as follows: Large Red cable on large spade to 12v terminal on alternator(always powered), Large Orange cable on opposite large spade to preheater, Small black wire to small spade on right of relay, small green wire to spade on left of relay. Problem is, when I turn the key to activate it there is no power sent on either the black or green wires, i.e. nothing to activate/switch the relay.

/ Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e #6  
I have a 5210 which also has a 3029 engine. It has a manifold heater, the manifold heater and the air preheater for the 5045E use the same relay AL81719. The attached wiring file is from the tech manual for my 5210 and in this case to me is the same for the 5045E and what you described is the same. 385 is the green wire to the key, 383 is the orange wire, the black is the ground and the red is the power.

I think you have it wired correct, what happened when you pushed the key in?

The following is from the tech manual.

System is controlled by operator only. No automatic control is used. When operator pushes in on key in RUN or START position, current flows through 30-amp fuse and across starting aid contacts of key switch. Current exits key switch on circuit 385 and travels to terminal 86 of manifold heater relay. As current passes through windings of relay, a magnetic field develops which pulls relay contacts and connects terminals 30 and 87. Current then passes from battery through circuit 002 and to manifold heater.

Attachments

• 5210wiring.jpg
    5210wiring.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 5,464
   / Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e #7  
Need to obtain operators manual from 1-800-522-7448.
A coolant heater is much better than an intake heater.

So I tried pressing in the key as everyone suggested and it did nothing as far as I could tell. Unless I am mistaken, some sort of action with the key should put power on the green #385 wire which would in turn activate the heater. Pressing in the key in the run position does not apply power to wire 385. Thoughts?

/ Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e #9  
Have you checked the 30 amp fuse that JD5210 mentioned?? Also be sure the black wire is grounded correctly.

/ Need help installing intake preheater on 5045e #10  
Is there power on the red wire? The role of #385 is to activate the relay, so power from the red wire can be used to power the heater. As already suggested double check the fuses.

At least on my tractor there is NO light on the instrument cluster to indicate the heater is activated, the charging system light does dim a little, when the key is pushed in.

If there is no power on the #385 as you have said, I suggest you follow 385 back to the key switch and see if there is power at the switch and using an ohm meter check 385 from the key switch to the relay.