Trailering IH 574

/ Trailering IH 574 #1  

Lowcountry

Tractor
International 574
First post on the fourm, lots a questions for you pro's here goes.

I have recently inherited/purchased from my Grandfathers estate an Internatial 574 row crop tractor and need to move it from South Carolina to Georgia. It would be about a 115 mile trip or about 2 hours. While I have trailered many loads including tractors it has always been with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck (grew up on a farm), because my duramax was totaled about 3 months ago and I thought I didn't have a need for a 3/4 I recently purchased a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 V8 with heavy tow package rated at 9700 lbs.

From what research I have done the tractor weights 5150 lbs (diesel row crop) + a 6 ft bushhog not sure on it's weight, also not sure if there is any ballast in the tires, I know it has a few 50 lbs(?) weights on the front.

I am hoping to buy a 18' or 20' trailer with brakes to haul the tractor on. I would also get a weight distribution hitch. I could also borrow a 20' deck over trailer with a pintel hook attachment (used it many times with a 2500 HD), till I find a trailer.

I know my truck can pull this much weight, I would like ya'lls opionions on if this truck will safely be able to handle the tow moving the tractor and an occasional once a month tow locally? How much would a 18-20' trailer weight and is the pintel hook a good idea on a 1500? Also any advice on trailer size would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ Trailering IH 574 #2  
Biggest issue is going to be tongue weight and hitch limits. The GM 1/2 tons seem to squat under load and the hitch is rated for usually 500# tongue weight and maybe 10,000# weight distribution.

As for the bush hog its going to be 750# or more. Some are as heavy as 1000#. Look on the net for similar ones and look up its weight on the manufactures site.

18' trailers are going to be at the 2500# range empty.

I would use it locally but if you can borrow a bigger truck to make the long trip do so. You can also pay to have it moved at about $3 per load mile. Even a roll back wrecker would work.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Trailering IH 574 #3  
I agree with Diamondpilot--spend a few hundred bucks to hire a tiltbed wrecker and eliminate the concern whether your truck/trailer combo can SAFELY handle this job.

I used a wrecker to haul my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF to my shop when I bought it a few

MM-BF tiltbed-1.JPGMM-BF tiltbed-2.JPGMM-BF tiltbed-3.JPG

The tractor weighed about 4600 lb including loaded rear tires. It wasn't running when I picked it up so we winched it up the ramp.

Round trip was about 120 miles. Cost: $230.

Good luck.

/ Trailering IH 574 #4  
You are talking a trailer with 6k axles right? A trailer like that will be 2500 lbs empty. If you have ballast in tires thats a 500+ lbs and the shredder. Seems like you are in the 6500 range with add on's. I would say you are at the max of the truck, another thing to consider is wind drag, especially when loaded up to max. The tranny is going to take a beating. I put the biggest tranny cooler I could on my truck to help make it live longer.
The other factor is you and your experience in hauling near tow vehicle capacity loads and brakes to stop it.
I would have no problem doing it with my 1/2 ton, but I do have alot of experience hauling loads. If it were my son, No he would not do it, not enough experience for a load like that yet. You said for once amonth local tow, not sure how far you are going. A local guy here has HD dolly, similar to a car dolly but heavy duty with brakes. He loads his front tires on it, ties it down and moves his trator that way. No highway, all low speed short trips but has worked for him for 12 + yrs now
Is this the tractor you are getting

Attachments

• 547.PNG
    547.PNG
    908.5 KB · Views: 312
   / Trailering IH 574
Thanks for the replys, Case485 that is just like my tractor, but with shiny paint. My brother checked the tractor out for me and says he is almost positive there is no balast in the tires (tires where put on about 2 yrs ago. That being said, I think yall are right about the truck being near it's max which is not so safe. I would be at roughly 5200 lbs (tractor) + 750 (shredder)+2500 lbs (trailer)+250 lbs (weight hitch, chains, weights)=8700 lbs for the total load. or at 90% of my total capacity and thats with a tongue weight of 1044 lbs at 12% or 1305 lbs at 15%.

I like the truck but it is a half ton and is alittle less truck than what I am use to but I don't want to cause premature breakdowns or be unsafe. I have towed my father in laws tt camper that was 22' and maxed out at 7143 lbs loaded (857 lbs at 12% tongue weight) and the truck towed it pretty good, didn't squat as bad as I thought it would. Towed it about 240 miles round trip. Max trans temp I saw was 187 degrees, towed mostly on flat ground.

I think it would be best to hire a roll back or borrow a bigger truck to move it the long haul, even though it is two lane roads and max 55 mph there are some significant hills.

DiamondPillot, back to the towing around town (20 miles on way), if I was tow occasionally (once a month or so) on two lane roads, very few hills, I think the truck could handle that type of towing. I have pulled some very heavy and sometimes overloaded loads farming and I feel that I am very experienced with towing in general. I know what is safe and not safe, mostly what I am worried about is to much wear and tear on the truck with long hauls but a occasional local tow I think I would be ok. Any thoughts on that?

Sure love the mileage of the 1500 but I sure do miss the 2500 at times...maybe I need a dump truck.

/ Trailering IH 574 #6  
Thanks for the replys, Case485 that is just like my tractor, but with shiny paint. My brother checked the tractor out for me and says he is almost positive there is no balast in the tires (tires where put on about 2 yrs ago. That being said, I think yall are right about the truck being near it's max which is not so safe. I would be at roughly 5200 lbs (tractor) + 750 (shredder)+2500 lbs (trailer)+250 lbs (weight hitch, chains, weights)=8700 lbs for the total load. or at 90% of my total capacity and thats with a tongue weight of 1044 lbs at 12% or 1305 lbs at 15%.

I like the truck but it is a half ton and is alittle less truck than what I am use to but I don't want to cause premature breakdowns or be unsafe. I have towed my father in laws tt camper that was 22' and maxed out at 7143 lbs loaded (857 lbs at 12% tongue weight) and the truck towed it pretty good, didn't squat as bad as I thought it would. Towed it about 240 miles round trip. Max trans temp I saw was 187 degrees, towed mostly on flat ground.

I think it would be best to hire a roll back or borrow a bigger truck to move it the long haul, even though it is two lane roads and max 55 mph there are some significant hills.

DiamondPillot, back to the towing around town (20 miles on way), if I was tow occasionally (once a month or so) on two lane roads, very few hills, I think the truck could handle that type of towing. I have pulled some very heavy and sometimes overloaded loads farming and I feel that I am very experienced with towing in general. I know what is safe and not safe, mostly what I am worried about is to much wear and tear on the truck with long hauls but a occasional local tow I think I would be ok. Any thoughts on that?

Sure love the mileage of the 1500 but I sure do miss the 2500 at times...maybe I need a dump truck.

If its coming in at that weight I would tow it. I tow my boat that weighs 9,680# about 5,000 miles per year with a 08 Nissan Titan. I was thinking you would come in over 10,000#.

These 1/2 tons today are as much truck as the 3/4 tons were 10 or 15 years ago.

Just take your time, stay within the hitches limit, have a working brake cintroller, ect. I would not go with a pintle hitch trailer. They can not be used with a weight distribution hitch.

Chris

/ Trailering IH 574 #7  

For short hauls that setup will be more than good i think. I am an old standard tranny guy, the auto's make me nervous. Like i said I went with a 1 ton tranny cooler on my truck and hope for the best. Anyways nice tractor, have always liked those styles. I have hauled my Case 485 with FEL and disc, was at max and you knew it. Truck did good, the hills were abit slow going up, the ROPS cover caught alot of wind at hwy speed. Over all it did good. Thats a 100 mile trip back to my house, On trip back I used my old 1 ton, much better trip going back. The half ton will be used for short trips, like 20-30 mile trips. 1 ton for the longer hauls with equipment. Thats our plan for now. I sure like the ride and comfort of the 1500 truck though.