Mystery, RTV900 not starting

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
Our Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not start.

This occurred during a sudden cold spell where temps dropped way below 0 deg F.

The RTV 900 started and ran ok twice during this 4 day cold snap. Battery is strong.

I just went out to use it again. The outside temperature was up to 12 F.

I energized the Glow Plug, then waited 20 seconds and it fired right up , but was racing at full throttle and blowing grew particulate smoke.

I pumped the throttle, thinking it was stuck, no change it continued to race.

I shut the motor down.

I tried to restart, NO GO. It just cranks, not even a sputter.

I cranked the starter to raise the bed, but could not see anything obviously wrong, It was too dark and cold so I figure maybe someone on the forum had this experience and could give me a place to start?

Other than water/ice in the fuel, causing something to stick, anybody have any ideas or has this happened to you?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #2  
That is odd. I'll be watching to see what you end up figuring out.

When it is cold my starter just clicks once the first time you turn the key. Second key turn it starts. It starts first time around when the temperature is above freezing or the engine is warm.

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #3  
As for cranking and not starting I wonder if the fuel is gelled? Will a small diesel run faster when it is running out of fuel like a chain saw does?

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #4  
Our Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not start.

I energized the Glow Plug, then waited 20 seconds and it fired right up , but was racing at full throttle and blowing grew particulate smoke.
I pumped the throttle, thinking it was stuck, no change it continued to race.
I shut the motor down.

I tried to restart, NO GO. It just cranks, not even a sputter.

Same thing happened to me on my BX24, same conditions. I waited 15 minutes and all was well. This happened a few times over the last week or so. This morning though it just cranks. I checked the fuel flow and the fuel is flowing to the engine, not restricted or gelled at all.

I checked the fuel solenoid fuse and it is good, and the solenoid seems to be working.

It seems to me that the fuel is not getting through the injectors and distributed to the cylinders. I'm on here trying to find the next step in my troubleshooting.

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #5  
Same thing happened to me on my BX24, same conditions. I waited 15 minutes and all was well. This happened a few times over the last week or so. This morning though it just cranks. I checked the fuel flow and the fuel is flowing to the engine, not restricted or gelled at all.

I checked the fuel solenoid fuse and it is good, and the solenoid seems to be working.

It seems to me that the fuel is not getting through the injectors and distributed to the cylinders. I'm on here trying to find the next step in my troubleshooting.

Are you saying both machines are down? if so I agree with DT86, your fuel has jelled somewhere.

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #6  
Are you saying both machines are down? if so I agree with DT86, your fuel has jelled somewhere.

If the fuel is flowing out of the last fuel line before it goes into the engine, could the injectors themselves be jelled or frozen?

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #7  
Did both go down the same time?

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #8  
Sorry two different people in two places experiencing similar problems.

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting #9  
If the fuel is flowing out of the last fuel line before it goes into the engine, could the injectors themselves be jelled or frozen?

I would say it is possible.

/ Mystery, RTV900 not starting
Update.

I recharged the battery and tried restarting again. It fired again racing and smoking. As I don't have a service manual, I,m not sure what lever I wiggled but it is the one below the solinoid next to the fuel pump, trying to get the motor to stop racing. The engine stalled and would not restart. I'll stop by MB tractor tomorrow and brain pick the service mgr.