charging system doesn't work

/ charging system doesn't work #1  

pontiac58

Tractor
terramite T5C, bolens g152
I have a 1995 or so T5C with a honda. Just got done rebuilding some cylinders, changing a few lines, making all the pins take grease, and rebuilding the front axle from hub to hub. Previous owner did no/zero maintenance

Anyway, my honda doesn't charge the battery. The wiring harness is a wreck, i would rewire it, but time is limited right now and i just need to get it charging for the winter. Does someone have a schematic for this unit or what wire colors do what?

I read around the web trying to figure out how the hondas charge, but couldn't really find what i wanted, but another question came up. Does terramite use a 20 amp or 3 amp charging system?

Thanks Jim

/ charging system doesn't work #2  
:welcome:

/ charging system doesn't work #3  
Welcome Pontiac58 to the forum. I am not sure about the Honda. I would call the Terramite service department. I have had good luck with Eric. He is very knowledgable about these Terramites and suspect he will be able to give you a quick answer.
I understand having a Terramite whose previous owner did NO maintenance.....I have spent hours doing the same thing.....I still have a few pins not taking grease.
Good luck getting it charging!

/ charging system doesn't work #4  
Google "terramite t5c parts" and there is everything,wiring diagram and all.Look up what model honda you have-GX620? and it probably has 17 or 20 amp.FREE parts manual-color coded wires and all.

/ charging system doesn't work
Thanks for the tip on the wiring diagram. I had the parts catalog printed out, just never went past the parts section. I found at least part of the problem. The diagram calls for a 5 terminal switch and mine is a four terminal and the brown wire isn't hooked to anything. It got dark out before i could finish but what does the brown wire do???

/ charging system doesn't work #6  
It looks like the brown wire is the Kill wire-to shut off engine.It would go to ground through the switch.Be carefull that you don't send positive through that wire-might blow the ignition coil(s) Been there,done that! It is also tied to the low oil kill.
You probably are going to need a new voltage reg. If you try to charge a dead battery,they burn out.If your battery is low enough that you have to jump it-charge it up,don't jump it.
I see it has a fuel shut-off solenoid on the carb,and that is probably what shuts it down now.

/ charging system doesn't work
Now that you said that, it does take its time shutting off. Hopefully it isn't too cold out this weekend and i will be able to get outside with it for a few hours.