tippy

/ tippy #1  

mlange2009

Bronze Member
I have a BX2660 last year i made a cab for the winter fun,1/2 inch ply,and lexon weighs maybe 200 lbs,didn't notice last year,but this year seems tippy on even a slight grade like it want to tip on it's side seems to be more on the right side,hope it's just me,but just don't feel right,sorry no picture of the cab,do these take a lot to tip over??

/ tippy #2  
The answer to this question is not trivial.
1) Do you have a FEL on it? This will transfer weight forward to the rocking front axle. How high is it?
2) Do you have loaded tires? Wheel weights? (Op Man on older ones says not to do both.)
3) Do you have any other ballast on the tractor?
4) What are you attempting to do with the tractor, i.e. other implements?
5) How much slope?
6) Do you have rear wheel spacers?

I have filed tires on my BX2230, for about 100 lbs in each tire, plus I sometimes add 50 lbs of extra weight (can't see the harm for #2). 275 lbs more on the 3ph. With the FEL on, even low mine feels tippy at a 20-25 degree slope. W/o the FEL, it feels pretty stable in the same place, even w/o the wheel weights and 3ph ballast.

The cab of 200 lbs is going to raise the COG a fair amount, as do you just sitting there.

/ tippy #3  
Adequate tire pressure?

/ tippy
I use it to plow snow,has FeL and a blade on the back,slope may be 20 degrees or less,as i said never noticed it before ,when i use it for mowing,the front end loader is off and never have that sensation,tires have adequate tire pressure thanks guys

/ tippy #5  
Go over that slope next summer w/o your FEL attached. I bet you feel a huge difference. My BX FEL is somewhere around 400 lbs. if I recall, and yours would likely be a tad heavier. When that is on, you don't just add 400 lbs to the front axle, you also move almost 400 lbs (mounts are behind the front wheels) forward off of the rear end. The front provides no stability for you until you have tipped over about 10 degrees more than the slope you are on. Spacers would help if you can (check clearance between tires and mower deck wheels) and weight added down low (such as filled tires). Is the "blade" a box blade or grader type? Box will be heavier and better ballast to the FEL. If the FEL is on, keep it almost dragging on the ground. Go slow whatever you do.

/ tippy
yes it's a grader type and i'm very careful,will have to change things next winter,open for ideas there????tires being filled how much would that help?? don't know much about a box blade,good for snow???

/ tippy #7  
yes it's a grader type and i'm very careful,will have to change things next winter,open for ideas there????tires being filled how much would that help?? don't know much about a box blade,good for snow???

Ballast is a critical component of tractor operation. Adequate ballasting completely changes the character of the operation. Proper ballasting on the rear also helps counterbalance weight, unloading the front axle. Always strive to carry ballast at or below the level of the rear axle. Filled rear tires place most of the weight in that area since they are typically only filled to just above the top of the wheel. Wheel weights also complement this effect. Keep the FEL as low as possible, even when unloaded. When operating with a load, keep one hand on the stick ready to jettison the load. Go up and down inclines as much as possible; avoid sideslope operation.

/ tippy #8  
I would put a inclinometer on the dash and make sure you don't exceed the rec max angle. They used to be sold on here but that was a bit ago.

/ tippy
thanks for all the help,just glad i didn't put the money in a curtis cab,and have the same issue,i'm sure they are very heavy,spring will be here soon,so it will come off for the summer,maybe add weights next year,thanks again