JD 2130 Transmission

/ JD 2130 Transmission #1  

squera1

Tractor
John Deere 2130
G'day all from Australia
this is my first time on any forum, so bear with me while I learn the ropes!
I'm posting on behalf of a farmer friend who has a John Deere 2130 which he bought 2nd hand.
it has an occasional transmission problem, particularly when loaded;
driving along on hand throttle, revs don't change one bit but the power steering gets heavy and the tractor gets slower and slower until it stops completely (with the motor still revving).
I think I could hear a pump cavitating when it happened to me, but I'm not sure... If you turn off engine and wait about 5 minutes, tractor runs normally again - maybe for 10 minutes, maybe for 2-3 days.
the bit that really confuses me is that it has a manual transmission and manual clutch which seem to work exactly as expected; there's no fluid transmission in the drive line that I'm aware of, but all the problems seem to be a lack of transmission fluid!
the hydraulic oil level checks OK, and it has had a new hydraulic oil filter.
can anyone offer a suggestion as to what problem I might be looking for and how to fix it?
sorry for being a bit "long-winded" but I'm trying to eliminate 100 questions about what,when & where the problem occurs!
Thanks in advance

/ JD 2130 Transmission #2  
G'day all from Australia
this is my first time on any forum, so bear with me while I learn the ropes!
I'm posting on behalf of a farmer friend who has a John Deere 2130 which he bought 2nd hand.
it has an occasional transmission problem, particularly when loaded;
driving along on hand throttle, revs don't change one bit but the power steering gets heavy and the tractor gets slower and slower until it stops completely (with the motor still revving).
I think I could hear a pump cavitating when it happened to me, but I'm not sure... If you turn off engine and wait about 5 minutes, tractor runs normally again - maybe for 10 minutes, maybe for 2-3 days.
the bit that really confuses me is that it has a manual transmission and manual clutch which seem to work exactly as expected; there's no fluid transmission in the drive line that I'm aware of, but all the problems seem to be a lack of transmission fluid!
the hydraulic oil level checks OK, and it has had a new hydraulic oil filter.
can anyone offer a suggestion as to what problem I might be looking for and how to fix it?
sorry for being a bit "long-winded" but I'm trying to eliminate 100 questions about what,when & where the problem occurs!
Thanks in advance

Does the tractor have either the Hi/Lo option or the Reverser option for the transmission? Should be a lever on the console just to the left of the steering wheel. Has a "rabbit or turtle" symbol for the Hi/Lo and a Forward or Reverse (R) for the reverser.

AKfish

/ JD 2130 Transmission
I don't have access to the tractor at the moment - it's on my friend's farm about 500 miles away, but I don't remember seeing a Hi/lo or forward/reverse control with rabbit/tortoise.
It has a 4 speed manual transmission with a separate stick to select high range (gears 5,6,7 & 8), Low range, reverse and a park position (which locks up the drive insted of a park brake)
low range and reverse work in whichever gear is selected between 1-4
I'll be finishing for the day very shortly, so it might be tomorrow (my time) before i can respond to anymore questions!
thanks
Steve

/ JD 2130 Transmission #4  
I think your friends tractor must have the hyd hi-lo which when it stops moving isn't getting enough trans pump pressure. Correct psi should be in the 165# range. I would recommend correcting the problem before this clutch pack has to be repaired. IIRC there are ports to check psi on shift cover(2nd photo). Presuming the tractor is an open-station the hyd hi-lo control lever would be on LH side of dash & should look similar to 3rd photo.

Attachments

• L100592________UN03NOV95.gif
    L100592________UN03NOV95.gif
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,837
  • L122825________UN26OCT95.gif
    L122825________UN26OCT95.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 7,239
  • L52895_________UN01JAN94.gif
    L52895_________UN01JAN94.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,009
   / JD 2130 Transmission #5  
I think your friends tractor must have the hyd hi-lo which when it stops moving isn't getting enough trans pump pressure. Correct psi should be in the 165# range. I would recommend correcting the problem before this clutch pack has to be repaired. IIRC there are ports to check psi on shift cover(2nd photo). Presuming the tractor is an open-station the hyd hi-lo control lever would be on LH side of dash & should look similar to 3rd photo.

That's where I was goin' with my questions.. Although, given the symptoms (OK, for 2-3 hours or several days) I'm thinking that he might have brake lining, etc. on the hyd. pickup for the Hi/Lo pump. Stuff falls off enough to allow sufficient fluid pick-up and then it closes off again.

AKfish

/ JD 2130 Transmission #6  
That's where I was goin' with my questions.. Although, given the symptoms (OK, for 2-3 hours or several days) I'm thinking that he might have brake lining, etc. on the hyd. pickup for the Hi/Lo pump. Stuff falls off enough to allow sufficient fluid pick-up and then it closes off again.

AKfish

My experience on tractors with a plugged hyd screen was once screen coated over with debris it stayed coated. It is possible that the hyd filter by-pass valve may be the culprit. Irregardless the problem needs to be repared before the hi-lo clutches are toast.

/ JD 2130 Transmission
thanks guys
the fact that I now know there's a hydraulic coupling in the drive line has given me some insight in to what I'm looking for.
it'll be a couple of months before I get back up to the farm and can confirm my suspicions, but I think the suction screen for the hydraulic pump pick-up might be blocked .
what is the Hi/Lo shift lever meant to do for tractor operation, because it does have the lever to the left of steering column, but from memory, it doesn't seem to do anything!
what should I be looking for to determine if Hi/Lo is working?

/ JD 2130 Transmission #8  
When shifting the hi/lo, there should be a very noticeable shift in speed. pulling lever towards you shifts into high and pushing forward shifts to low. If working properly, it is a very crisp, abrubt shift.

/ JD 2130 Transmission #9  
Shifting the HI-LO from Hi to LO is like downshifting one gear.
I agree most likely cause is a dirty suction screen.
Low hydraulic oil level will cause slipping, but I have not seen it to cause a complete stop. My 2030 will slip on an incline if the fluid is low.

/ JD 2130 Transmission #10  
When shifting the hi/lo, there should be a very noticeable shift in speed. pulling lever towards you shifts into high and pushing forward shifts to low. If working properly, it is a very crisp, abrubt shift.

JD110
Sorry but you stated backwards operation. Forward is high speed,rearward is low speed.