TC33D tilt steering will not lock

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock #1  

Echo's Mom

The tilt steering on our TC33D does not lock. I haven't gone to the manual yet to see what is involved in repairing, but did want to see if anyone else had the same issue and how it was resolved.

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock #2  
That's a very common problem that many of us have experienced. The mechanism works by action of a locking shock absorber. When you lift the handle to adjust tilt, the lever presses down on a pin on top of the shock to allow it to be adjusted. After many years, rain, snow, and dirt, the pin will become gummed up. Sometimes you can disassemble and loosen the pin, but more often the shock needs replacement. The shock is a little over $100 from New Holland just for the part. I replaced mine about 3 years ago, so that's when they were $100. It's not a hard job, but has to be done correctly to make sure everything works. Were you or someone you know going to make the repair? I don't think the labor will be much so you might want to check with your dealer. Hauling the tractor to the dealer or having them come get it is going to be the most costly in my opinion.

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock #3  
I had the same thing happen to my Case DX 33 a few weeks ago. (it's a red TC33D basically LOL). My steering colum went a bit limp. I tried a little blue pill and that worked fine for me, but didn't do anything for the tractor. ;) I shined a light down next to the column and found oil....meaning that little shock was leaking. No real fix for that except the garbage can.

Replacement wasn't that bad. Remove the two panels below the steering wheel. Pull the bolts off of the top, clean it up, etc. The bottom was a bit more difficult. You have to pull the brackets that hold up your dash so you can move the steering column a bit with a pry bar. The pin that holds the bottom in place was put in before the rest of the tractor was assembled around it basically, so you'll need to move things up and out of the way a bit to get the pin out. It's nothing difficult, just approach it methodically and you'll have no problems. Took me about an hour and a half total and that was with one of my friends hanging out in the shop talking about old times with me. LOL

Messicks has it and Tractor Help has it with Tractor Help being a bit cheaper.
Messicks Part Search
Steering Column Adjuster Shock 86522914

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock
Thank you for the explanation. Back in the day Roy & I would 'fight' over who got to assemble the Christmas toys; we prefer to do the work ourselves, but if that is not practical it is best to know what has to be done. He is far more mechanically inclined but I wanted to understand the issue.

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock #5  
The pin that holds the bottom in place was put in before the rest of the tractor was assembled around it basically, so you'll need to move things up and out of the way a bit to get the pin out.

Mine quit working after a couple years. It is in the upright position though so I just left it, that's pretty much where I had it anyway. I did attempt to loosen the pin once without any luck and I didn't want to tear it down any further. Maybe someday. :)

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock #6  
Does anyone know if there is a video online showing this repair? I'm even having trouble getting the lower panels off.

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock #7  
I recently had my TC33D shipped to a new location and hadn't used the tilt adjustment for many years. Unfortunately, the shippers did and then the tilt steering just flopped down from the up position. The shock no longer pushed steering back into the up position. As I was just fine with having the steering in a fixed position and didn't want to go to the cost and hassle of removing the entire steering column just to put in a new shock, I removed the two black covers below the dash, put a hose clamp around the piston rod where I wanted it to stop in the lower position and tied down the tilt from the release lever to a lower bracket with wire to keep the steering from floating back to the up position. Put the covers back on and problem solved!

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock #8  
There is a plastic add on cover for that piston that will keep the rain, grease , dirt etc off of it/ Had my 1530 for 20 years now and it has only had the piston replaced once - and that was before I found out about the cover.!

/ TC33D tilt steering will not lock #9  
OK guys, I'm at my wits end in trying to replace my steering tilt strut. I cannot get the column lifted high enough to access pin on bottom of shock. Please look at pic and educate me on what I need to do. I just don't understand what I'm missing? I have pried as hard as I think I can get away with without breaking something in trying to lift column. I appreciate any advice.View attachment 574779View attachment 574780
Sorry the pic may be turned wrong, I tried to correct it.

Attachments

• TC33d steering tilt strut2.jpg
    TC33d steering tilt strut2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2,090
   / TC33D tilt steering will not lock #10  
OK guys, I'm at my wits end in trying to replace my steering tilt strut. I cannot get the column lifted high enough to access pin on bottom of shock. Please look at pic and educate me on what I need to do. I just don't understand what I'm missing? I have pried as hard as I think I can get away with without breaking something in trying to lift column. I appreciate any advice.View attachment 574779View attachment 574780
Sorry the pic may be turned wrong, I tried to correct it.

How did you correct? I have the same problem.