Water pump-- rebuild at least new seal? Model 70 gas

/ Water pump-- rebuild at least new seal? Model 70 gas #1  

mdross1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 70
The water pump on this tractor was new when I bought it but leaks behind the pulley.The casting is F1052R it looks like the pulley is pressed on,would like to just change the seal on this pump.
Anybody ever rebuild one?

/ Water pump-- rebuild at least new seal? Model 70 gas #2  
It's been 30+ yrs since I've rebuilt a 2 cyl waterpump. To access the area where the seal sits one needs to press brg & impeller out of WP housing. If it were my WP I'd install a new brg,seal and probably the impeller.

/ Water pump-- rebuild at least new seal? Model 70 gas
This pump is still like new just needs a seal or so it appears without pulling it apart.Day off tommorrow will put a puller on the pulley and see if it moves.
Looks like the impeller is also pressed on.Have not looked at the manual yet doing the night shift at work.This pump will certainly get what it needs to make it 100%.

/ Water pump-- rebuild at least new seal? Model 70 gas #4  
If that pump uses the ceramic insert on the seal I'll bet it's cracked.

Got the pump apart after making an arbor to push against the pump shaft in the press. Monday will call about a seal kit.

/ Water pump-- rebuild at least new seal? Model 70 gas #6  
There's a SN break @ 7031300 for brg,impeller & seal. Gasket is identical
F1053R gasket
SN <7031299 AA5580R seal & slinger
SN >7031300 R32622 seal

The parts, bearing and seal kit are in next day off will pick them up,the impeller just needs a little touchup.
The last thing to tear into rebuild, renew, what ever it takes till the warm weather returns will be the power steering.

/ Water pump-- rebuild at least new seal? Model 70 gas #8  
The water pump on this tractor was new when I bought it but leaks behind the pulley.The casting is F1052R it looks like the pulley is pressed on,would like to just change the seal on this pump.
Anybody ever rebuild one?

Be careful with that water pump that you don't crack the casting when you try to get the pulley and seal out. That happened to me in the engine shop I use when the mechanic was pressing the leaking bearing out of the casting. Fortunately he's good at brazing and was able to do the repair successfully.

Good luck.

Appreciate it, it is all apart cleaned and painted.Took the time and used the right puller then made an arbor to push against the pump shaft.It actually came apart with no fuss.