Welding wire recommendation for CO2

/ Welding wire recommendation for CO2 #1  

ericher69

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota b2920
My 10lb spool is almost empty and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good wire .030 to run with CO2 on a Lincoln SP170-T

Garage is only heated when worked in

Huge temp fluctuations from -30 To +30

Will try and remove the spool when done and seal in a bag but will probably remain in the welder

Thanks

/ Welding wire recommendation for CO2 #2  
70-S6 is still the best. I am pretty sure that National Standard wire will work just fine. For good cheap wire, techniweld works fine as well as Inweld.

Last edited:
   / Welding wire recommendation for CO2 #3  
I've been running Hobart wire from local farm store and runs great. I bought a role of Prostar from my local praxair dealer. $10 more than the hobart. The Prostar is Esab made in Italy. That's what the man behind the counter told me and Italy is printed on the box. Can't really tell a difference. Lowes website claims they sell Lincoln wire, but none of the Lowes stock it in my area. 12.5 lb roll for $25. Going to see if they will order it.

/ Welding wire recommendation for CO2
70-S6 is still the best. I am pretty sure that National Standard wire will work just fine. For good cheap wire, techniweld works fine as well as Inweld.

Mark;

Researched this a bit. Is 70-6s copper coated?

My use will be mild steel welding with mill scale (always 4get to remove it)

I'm not looking for the cheapest as I will only use a roll every year or two

Thanks

/ Welding wire recommendation for CO2 #5  
Mill scale isn't a problem at least from what I have experienced. The 70-s6 has copper fused within it. There is cleaning agents within the wire and gas to deal with mill scale and impurities in the metal. The hobart 70-s6 is made for heavier mill scale and rusty , dirty material. Good wire for the price.