Shifting on a J.D. 770

/ Shifting on a J.D. 770 #1  

robmc

Tractor
john deere 770 70 fel 7 bh
Good evening all, My name is Rob and this is my first thread on your forum. I just picked up a '92 770 compact tlb. It runs and operates quite well, and would say it is in good overall condition, however I am finding myself grinding the gears. I am typically doing this going from 1st to reverse in high range, all though I also find it happening shifting into other gears. It doesn't do it all the time, I just cant seem to find a sweet spot. Do I need a clutch?
Thanks in advance.

/ Shifting on a J.D. 770 #2  
Your clutch may just need adjustment. Next time you are operating, make sure you are fully depressed on the clutch and completely stopped before shifting.You may even apply the brakes to make sure you are completely stopped. Good Luck

/ Shifting on a J.D. 770
Thank you for your replies. I'll get out there today and make sure I am completely stopped. Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:
   / Shifting on a J.D. 770 #5  
I saw a post somewhere one time, where the person said that 'double-clutching' would stop the gear grinding when shifting up thru the gears. It has an unsychronized transmission(kinda like a tractor-trailer).

/ Shifting on a J.D. 770 #6  
Shifting a 770 on the fly is tough and takes a lot of practice and still isn't 100%. Best to stop and shift until you are more comfortable and experienced with it.

/ Shifting on a J.D. 770 #7  
Any unsynchronized trans will grind if you shift on the fly without double clutching, mine is the worst when I go to engage any gear from neutral. I find it helps if I press the clutch in, wait 5 seconds, then engage a gear. That allows the transmission shafts to come to a stop and no grinding will occur.

The trouble with double clutching a tractor is you have very little momentum to carry you while you shift, I usually only shift on the fly between 3 high and 4 high.

Sean

/ Shifting on a J.D. 770
Thanks again to all of you for your feedback. I was able to get on the tractor today and I did what you folks recommended. It was considerably better. You have to wait a few seconds before you engage. I really have to send that clutch home however. Is that normal? (There is consistent pressure through the whole stroke of the pedal.)

/ Shifting on a J.D. 770 #9  
One other thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post, after you are done shifting take your foot completely off the clutch pedal.You probably already knew this but if you are busy and doing a lot of back and forth, one tends to forget. I had some problems with seat adjustment on mine because of my short legs.

/ Shifting on a J.D. 770 #10  
Thanks again to all of you for your feedback. I was able to get on the tractor today and I did what you folks recommended. It was considerably better. You have to wait a few seconds before you engage. I really have to send that clutch home however. Is that normal? (There is consistent pressure through the whole stroke of the pedal.)

Greetings fellow Fosterite. I would heed the earlier suggestion from Short Kid and take up some of your clutch adjustment. If its anything like my 750, there should only be about a half to an inch of free play before it engages. If you are engaging too close to full pedal, then you need the adjustment. I am not sure which shifter you have but if its a synchronous, even if it allegedly is able to shift while moving, I'd still come to a stand still if I'm grinding gears. Check the clutch travel at any rate.