Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas?

/ Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas? #1  

Dr Dirt

Tractor
New Holland td 24
I just isolated a fuel restriction to the fuel line from the tank to the filter. The new filter and new clean bowl empties out faster than it can be filled by the gravity feed it depends on. Does anyone know if there is a primary filter in the tank? If so how did you get around the blockage? I am going to drain the tank and try to either suck out the blockage or, heaven forbid bypass the primary in tank filter [ if so equipped ] and rely on the water separator fuel filter. Thanks Dan

/ Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas? #2  
If you have an air compressor, you could blow air backwards (to the tank, fuel fill cap off) through the line and see if that clears it. You might have some diesel sludge/algae build-up that got into the line, or is blocking it in the tank.

/ Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas?
If you have an air compressor, you could blow air backwards (to the tank, fuel fill cap off) through the line and see if that clears it. You might have some diesel sludge/algae build-up that got into the line, or is blocking it in the tank.
Thanks Dave, I was going to do just that but I finally got it to run. I only ran it at 1,500 rpm and like an old lady in a parking lot I managed to move a couple hundred yards if snow. Where I was not certain if the engine would start to overwhelm the supply line. I do plan on blowing air reverse and possibly removing the tank & clean it out. I have to go to D.C, Tuesday till Thursday so looks like next weekend. Thanks Dan

/ Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas? #4  
Thanks Dave, I was going to do just that but I finally got it to run. I only ran it at 1,500 rpm and like an old lady in a parking lot I managed to move a couple hundred yards if snow. Where I was not certain if the engine would start to overwhelm the supply line. I do plan on blowing air reverse and possibly removing the tank & clean it out. I have to go to D.C, Tuesday till Thursday so looks like next weekend. Thanks Dan

Good. Then it was more likely to be ice or gel if it just started flowing on its own. The sun is nice today!

/ Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas? #5  
The fuel intake tube from the tank is usually 1/4" or so higher than the floor of the tank, so there is a chance for some fine sediments to settle down without going to intake tube. obviously there is more sloshing of the fuel goes with the tractor due to rough terrain. On one instance a small piece of rubber came of the fuel cap and got logged in the tube that stopped the fuel flow. I did have push some air from the bottom to clear the obstruction.

JC,

Thanks JC !! yeah, I am going to pull the tank and clean out the sump. I did baby the machine only running 1,500 rpm but managed to move about 300 yards of nice fluffy snow. The forecast here in Maine is for some sloshy snow then a freeze. Like an idiot I will wait for better weather to pull the tank!!!!! Thanks Dan

Yeah It was a good day! I moved about 300 yards of fluffy snow and now we are gonna get some wet snow tomorrow!!! Good thing I got done what I did today! Thanks for the reply, Dan

/ Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas? #8  
Cool Doc,:thumbsup:

On mine after I blew the rubber piece inside the tank, I then emptied fuel in a plastic fuel tank tank. Taking the tank was piece a cake for me , just two nuts to take off. I took my portable air tank, put a nozzle on it, got the nuzzle in the tank opening after the valve (with valve closed. Got ready to squeeze the air tank nozzle eith the left hand and with right hand on the valve handle. did a little synchronized dancing:D, opened the valve, puffed some air in, closed the valve and I was good to go, no big mess.

JC

Thanks JC !! yeah, I am going to pull the tank and clean out the sump. I did baby the machine only running 1,500 rpm but managed to move about 300 yards of nice fluffy snow. The forecast here in Maine is for some sloshy snow then a freeze. Like an idiot I will wait for better weather to pull the tank!!!!! Thanks Dan

/ Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas? #9  
I just isolated a fuel restriction to the fuel line from the tank to the filter. The new filter and new clean bowl empties out faster than it can be filled by the gravity feed it depends on. Does anyone know if there is a primary filter in the tank? If so how did you get around the blockage? I am going to drain the tank and try to either suck out the blockage or, heaven forbid bypass the primary in tank filter [ if so equipped ] and rely on the water separator fuel filter. Thanks Dan

Tanks usually have a strainer at the out let so that can be partially clogged. Check for fuel delivery from the tank into the filter by removing the line to the filter. If that's good (comes out like a cow peein' on a flat rock) than reconnect and check for fuel flow out of the filter. Same deal. It's not uncommong to have water contaminated fuel that feezes in the filter or on the tank strainer. If you running with summer fuel, gelling can be a problem in cold temperatures also.

/ Fuel Blockage TD 24 any ideas? #10  
I have an Allmand 425 with a similar problem. I have used an air compressor to blow the fuel line out and that seems to do the trick, but I end up doing it about every 2-5 hours of operation. Tired and frustrated because of this problem I have drained the bottom of the tank out but did not see any sediment come out and still have the fuel blockage problem. My next step is to drain the entire tank. Does any one know of a safe way of vacuuming out the bottom of the tank so I can make sure I get all the sediment or what ever is blocking my fuel line. I can't find a way that I can take the tank out of the tractor to clean it, metal parts are all welded around the fuel tank. Any suggestions on cleaning the fuel tank would be helpful.