snow removal

/ snow removal #1  

shsprings254

Tractor
jinma 254
Looking for suggestions and places to look for snow removal attachment for my Jinma 254 tractor with Koyker 140 fel. A rear pto driven blower does not appeal to me as driving in reverse down my 3/4 mile access road would be a headache.

/ snow removal #2  
How much do you have to spend. you could get a rear blade 350 to 500 dollars. but you would have to drive over the snow first. I see you live in NY do you get the lake effect snow. You could get a pushbox about 2000 dollars they mount to the bucket of your fel. does your fel have skidsteer type quicktach mount. Then a bunch of the snowplow companies make plows to fit. or if you have fab equipment find a used plow and make a mount for fel.

/ snow removal #3  
2 newbies at a time??? Excellent! Welcome aboard (not to be sexist if I'm wrong), Men!

/ snow removal #4  
What size machine is a Jinma 254? Horse power ,weight of machine, tire sizeand type , and rear tread width all come into what to get that will work properly.

/ snow removal #6  
It's fun to Google this stuff. Apparently the 254 is a 25 hp 4WD that will weigh about 2500 lbs with the loader. The Koyker apparently does have a quick attach bucket of some sort. If you don't want a rear blower, it seems like you won't have an easy way to do a blower. I don't think the Jinma has a mid PTO so a front blower or a pull type blower will involve lot's of money.

In your situation I think a front plow would be the best idea. It would take a bit of fabrication but you could probably adapt a truck (or even a big ATV plow) to your loader. Check the old discussions, lot's of people have done it. If your main use is plowing out a long drive, you could get away with a manual angle plow since you won't be changing it much. The tractor might be heavy enough to push a 7 foot plow but with only 25hp, you might be better off with a 6 or 6.5 foot.

/ snow removal #7  
From what I found the tractor has a rear PTO and can lift 875 to 944 lbs on the 3 point(values differ).

So I would not discount a rear pull-type blower. MK Martin has a 68" blower weighing 506 lb and rated up to 35 hp. Lucknow has a 60" pull-type rated 20-35 HP weighing 560 lb. There are other manufacturers I believe. Erskine is one but their blower is heavier and more expensive.

A rear pull type blade is likely the cheapest option if the snow is not too deep to drive through it first.

The pull type blower is the most suitable option for my situation where we receive up to 1' snow falls (but more commonly 6") through the winter and the snow does not melt until spring. Therefore, the snow has to be moved back extra distance to keep the road from closing in. I previously did that with a rear blade and an L275DT (about the size of your Jinma). Heavy snow was a problem as the angled blade would push the tractor sideways.

My pull-type blower was $800 or $900 more than a standard rear blower I believe.

/ snow removal #8  
I have both a back blade (7') and a rear snow blower. I use the back blade most often, unless it is a heavier snow fall.
The last time I used the back blade I wanted the snow pushed to one side of the road. With the blade set at an angle, the first pass was fine; however, on the second pass, which included the snow from the first pass, the blade was steering the rear end of the tractor despite tire chains. Weight on the rear wheels may make the situation better, but I don't have them.
The snow blower works great, but is somewhat of a pain going in reverse. Since I typically only need to use the blower two or three times each winter, I can deal with the inconvenience of going in reverse. I have also found that the snow blower doesn't throw snow too well if there is only a couple inches of snow. It will move the snow, but seems to throw it better when there is more snow to throw.
I mention this because I have found that there is no one implement that is best in all situations. If I could only have one implement for snow removal I guess I'd choose the blower.

/ snow removal
Thanks for all the info, looks like a pull type blower is the way for me to go for now. As for getting rid of my "Asian" tractor well I dont think so. Seems as though I have stumbled into the land of green and orange and I dont mean Ireland! Believe me I would have bought an orange tractor if I could have afforded it. But I could not have bought a used orange or green one for even close to what I paid for mine with a 5' fel, 5' bush hog, 5' box blade and 4' roto tiller all new (attachments US made) and with no money given to Mr Cuomo, delived to my deer camp in upstate NY.
Thanks again, and next time I will try to post in the proper forum, did not see the snow removal one earlier.
Dogdoc

/ snow removal #10  
I'm sure that tractor is fine. You can find similar posts for any tractor brand and the referenced post looked like an isolated incident. At least I didn't see a massive listing of search results arguing against Jinma. If fact I found quite a few from what seems like satisfied owners.

I am a fan of pull-type blowers over other types, including front mount blowers, but that is for my conditions. My driveway is just 800' but my poor old back would not take looking backwards for that. And now I often use the blower to help a few other neighbours whose driveways I had to quit doing when I had the rear blade.

I bet your tractor will give you years of good service.