Massey 3165 Giving me Headaches

/ Massey 3165 Giving me Headaches #1  

AL D

Tractor
Massey 3165
Hi there I am new to the fourms here and i was hoping to possibly get some insight to some issues ive been having with a 1972 Industrial Massey 3165 that I purchased in the early fall of last year. Here is the issue. The tractor has the Perkins AG4-212 gas engine in it. It starts and idles perfectly but once under load it looses alot of power and backfires breathes fire out the stack. I think that the points may be to blame. (or thats where i am going to start trouble shooting) either that or the carberator. I was hoping if anyone happens to have a wiring schematic for the Perkins AG4-212, or has knowledge with these motors, they could help me figure this one out. All the help i get is greatly appreceiated
Thanks

/ Massey 3165 Giving me Headaches #2  
Check the timing advance in the distributor. If it is stuck in the retarded position it will behave like your complaint. It should advance with engine speed and ****** with engine returned to idle speed. It may just need freed up and lubed if the rotor lobe shaft is stuck.

/ Massey 3165 Giving me Headaches
Alright I will look at that. Thanks so much for the help.

/ Massey 3165 Giving me Headaches #4  
Hi ALD. Your MF 3165 refers. You can also check to see if there is any oil present under the breaker points. A faulty codensor is another possibility. Many years ago we had a similar problem on a Bedford gasoline (petrol) engine. The oil isolates the breaker points from the breaker plate and by doing so prevents proper earthing.
Hope you will solve your problem. I myself own a 1968 MF165 with a 212 diesel engine. Only diesels are available in South Africa.
Epie. Paarl RSA