Automotive Parts Counter

/ Automotive Parts Counter #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
How much money do automotive parts stores make over the phone? Is it a substantial portion of their monthly earnings? I ask because just about everytime I go to one, I notice they will pick up a ringing phone before working with a cash paying customer.

/ Automotive Parts Counter #2  
I have the same problem...

But seems that whenever I call I get put on hold! :confused2:

/ Automotive Parts Counter #3  
How much money do automotive parts stores make over the phone? Is it a substantial portion of their monthly earnings? I ask because just about everytime I go to one, I notice they will pick up a ringing phone before working with a cash paying customer.

My guess is the mechanic shops around their area are doing most of the calling and each shop probably calls at least once a day. The bigger the shop the more they call so they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them by ignoring the calls.

/ Automotive Parts Counter #4  
My guess is the mechanic shops around their area are doing most of the calling and each shop probably calls at least once a day. The bigger the shop the more they call so they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them by ignoring the calls.
Your post sounds logical.

/ Automotive Parts Counter #5  
When I had a business with a customer in front of me with CASH IN HAND, they always took preference over the maybe sales! Phone inquiries looking for the lowest price only sometimes result in a sale.

I personally have walked out of stores that give the phone customer preference.

/ Automotive Parts Counter
When I had a business with a customer in front of me with CASH IN HAND, they always took preference over the maybe sales! Phone inquiries looking for the lowest price only sometimes result in a sale.

I personally have walked out of stores that give the phone customer preference.

I have walked out too, but only when it was convenient for me. The problem is, the next closest one around is 20 miles away. I think this store knows that also.

Sometimes I fantasize about cutting the phone cord but I know that wouldn't help any. :eek:

/ Automotive Parts Counter #7  
I don't mind them having to take some calls, what pisses me off is when I'm at the counter and they don't even acknowledge me between calls.

/ Automotive Parts Counter #8  
yeah yyou are right and i might add that when the machanic shop guy comes in the door, don't how many people standing there he get's waited on. i have seen it i was in the machanic business for a long time. if you pay your parts bill each month and buy alot of em they cater to you. i have been in the parts store people standing in line to get waited on the guy working in the office would see me come in and here he comes what do you need sam and all them people standing there. but i was paying them around $2000 a month for parts

/ Automotive Parts Counter #9  
I think we've all had it drummed into our heads over the years that phone call=important. My wife will drop everything and rush to the phone when it rings, I'll just let the answering machine pick up...if it's someone I want to talk to I'll pick up, otherwise let them leave a message.

/ Automotive Parts Counter #10  
I absolutlely will not pick up the phone when I'm waiting on someone who made the effort to drive to buy parts at the dealership where I work.