Tc18 starting hard?

/ Tc18 starting hard? #1  

mcgills443

Tractor
New Holland TC18
Hello, I have a tc18 that is in a garage that is 50* and I have to plug in block heater when I start it??? Battery turns over motor good. Its in Neutral,no pto's on,parking brake on and sitting on seat. When I turn key to warm glow plugs light comes on and stays on. I tried 10 sec 20 sec and it doesnt make a diffrence I have to plug in block heater? Any help would be great.Thank You! Joe

/ Tc18 starting hard?
poorplowboy,

I was thinking the same. when the tractor starts it runs fine. Is there a way to test the warming of the glow plugs before starting engine? glow plug light is on when I turn key on dash.

/ Tc18 starting hard? #4  
poorplowboy,

I was thinking the same. when the tractor starts it runs fine. Is there a way to test the warming of the glow plugs before starting engine? glow plug light is on when I turn key on dash.

I don't know the resisitance specs are but you should be able to check the resistance for an open circuit. If it's infinite than it's an open circuit.

/ Tc18 starting hard?
Jerry/mt,

I need more instructions on where,and how to test? I think I found my glow plug warmers. they are just below fuel injecters. There is a flat bar that connects all three of them. there is a wire on first one and last one??? Thanks, Joe

/ Tc18 starting hard? #6  
You could measure for voltage there during the glow plug cycle. It should be between 10 and 12.6 volt and if working properly and drawing a lot of current like they should it would be closer to the 10 volt than the 12.6. If you have voltage, you can remove the rail, and isolate the plugs and run a resistance check on each plug. Mine on the Kioti are supposed to be .43 ohms when cold. that is less than 1/2 of an ohm.. so I would think yours would be somewhere in that ballpark also. If they measure open, then replace them. If they are a dead short replace them. You will need a good digital ohm meter and understand how to read it, and start by shorting your ohmmeter leads together and see what they read, and figure that into your calculations when you read the glow plug center pin (that was hooked to the rail) to ground. Of course if you have no voltage on the glow plug rail during the glow plug cycle, then look further up stream to the glow plug relay or the glow plug timer. I am not familiar with your machine to give you specifics but they all work similarly.

James K0UA