Tl 80 thermostart question

/ Tl 80 thermostart question #1  

bigwhitehd

Hey guys, could you point me the right direction of where to find the thermostart on my 2004 tl 80? I have searched and searched, and re read all the factory service manuals (i dont seem to have the right one) and i cant find where it is. I don't think it is working because i tried to start the tractor today i 20* temp while holding my thermostart button and she wouldn't fire.
I noticed there is a plug on the inside towards the motor on the intake tube before it gets to the head with what looks like a fuel line, but it is hard to see with the hood and loader on the tractor. Is this it? Thanks for the help.

/ Tl 80 thermostart question
I found this on messicks. so what pumps the fuel to this thing?

tl80 thermostart.png

/ Tl 80 thermostart question #3  
I found this on messicks. so what pumps the fuel to this thing?

View attachment 303971

The Thermostart unit is usually supplied with fuel from a "T" in the return to tank line from the injector pump. The line from the "T" to the Thermostart unit is the reservior. the Thermostart is a heated grid that causes a small flame to heat the intake air charge in the manifold as a a cold starting aid. The only way to tell if it's working is feel the intake manifold after you hold the Thermostat button. The manifold in the area of the Thermostart will feel warmer than the rest of the intake manifold.
My recommendation is that you get a block heater and install that. Plug it in for 2 hrs before you need the tractor. It is a more positive cold starting aid and has the added benefit of warming up the water jacket to make cranking the engine easier on the battery and starter.