Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar?

/ Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar? #1  

doctorwho00

Tractor
Yanmar 2620D
Just curious if anyone has added a step to their Yanmar? I've thought about making one just to help me get on and off a little bit more easily. I've got a YM2620D, and it's not a huge tractor by any means, but it is a fairly good step up to get on it. This is particularly true if my boots are wet, and I've noticed I put a lot of pressure on the sheet metal where I step which isn't all that sturdy. Just curious if anyone has added one to their tractor.

/ Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar? #2  
My tractor is not a large of one as you have and I needed a step up, Or more of a step down, having some way of manuvering and placing my foot climbing aboard or step down, I can only use the side opposite the loader control, I utilized the FEL tower on this side by welding on a U shape bracket with teeth cut into the top side so's the edge of my foot won't slip off,

/ Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar? #3  
I would really like to have a step also. New Holland offers an optional step kit for nearly $300 which is ridiculous! I'll be standing by to see if you come up with something effective and affordable. Good luck.

/ Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar? #5  
I though all yanmars had a step.I have 1 that is like a ring step that hangs from the bottom of the platform
Man you guys with the fancy new model tractors with all the doodads. :)

I made this from a surplus switch panel.

67060d1167546453-old-guy-step-ver-3-p1050601rtractorstep.jpg

/ Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar? #6  
Man you guys with the fancy new model tractors with all the doodads. :)

I made this from a surplus switch panel.

67060d1167546453-old-guy-step-ver-3-p1050601rtractorstep.jpg

California, I'm sure this give you a good size step,:thumbsup: Have you ever considered installing larger foot-boards? It can be done, Not only does it provide more foot room it helps to prevent things from coming up onto the foot-boards from the ground,;)

Story: Once back when I had my Kubota and working in clearing the badly covered underbrush and vines on our property the tires picked up a vine wrapped around the axle and happen to wrap around my foot and the foot-board, luckily my foot was resting on the clutch peddle and when the vine tighten it pulled the clutch in stopping the tractor, I put the tractor in reverse to try release the tension enough that I might pull up my foot, but could not, so I shut down the tractor got out my ol-pocket knife and cut the vine away, This along with the size 12 foot was one of the reasons when I got the Yanmar I needed to build and change out to larger foot-boards, They are now from against the axle and go 2" closer to the clutch and brake peddles, I also made them wider from against trans housing and notched them around the fenders, In other words there are no gaps left anywhere at the foot-boards for anything to get up through, it was an easy conversion, and still looks factory from using diamond plated metal,;)

Attachments

• Picture 2481.jpg
    Picture 2481.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Picture 2488.jpg
    Picture 2488.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
   / Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar?
Thanks for all the ideas guys!

/ Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar? #8  
Have you ever considered installing larger foot-boards? It can be done, Not only does it provide more foot room it helps to prevent things from coming up onto the foot-boards from the ground)
I never thought of making larger footboards but you're right, the way they are attached it would be easy to make replacements.

For that YM240 with oversize tires, I just needed an 'old man step' when I was watering new trees and was climbing on/off continually with muddy boots.

The little YM186D could really use broader footboards. The existing ones are so tiny that there is no space to rotate your foot (the way a stirrup swivels) when mounting and particularly dismounting.

That's a scary story about the vines that you had to cut to get free of!

/ Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar? #9  
I added a 3/8 plate to the front end loader back post. it is 8x8 and works good. L. J.

/ Anyone add a side step to their Yanmar? #10  
yanmar side step.jpg
Check out the factory side step on this ym240 from 1976.