International Hawkline Gear Box Removal

/ International Hawkline Gear Box Removal #1  

scsims

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5525
I have a 5 year old 6ft Hawkline/International rotary cutter and the gear lube is leaking out under the cutter. I'm guessing I need to have the seal replaced. So I plan on taking the gear box to someone to have it done. My problem is I'm having trouble removing the gear box. I have the split pin removed on the shaft and the nut loosened. I can't get the flywheel to break free from the shaft.

Is there a trick to this?

/ International Hawkline Gear Box Removal #2  
If the stump jumper is still tight, and it sounds as though yours still is, you will need a puller to get it off.

/ International Hawkline Gear Box Removal
Like a large pulley puller?

/ International Hawkline Gear Box Removal #4  
Kind of. You take the blades off first. Then find ya a heavy structural piece of steel that you can drill/torch two holes in that match the blade bolt holes in the blade bar. Hang this from the blade bar/ stump jumper with some very heavy duty all thread and then place a small bottle jack in between the gearbox shaft and your steel piece. Go slow and they usually pop off there. Be careful not to damage the threads on you gearbox shaft though!

/ International Hawkline Gear Box Removal
I don't have a piece of metal that would work. Do you think a 4x4 or 6x6 piece of lumber would work?

/ International Hawkline Gear Box Removal #6  
I don't know.... But if that's what you have give it a shot. If its not badly rusted or otherwise seized it would probably work.

/ International Hawkline Gear Box Removal #7  
Scisms,

Tip the mower on it's end so you are able to use a sledge hammer on the bolt holding the stump jumper. If the output shaft has a nut with a cotter pin holding up the stump jumper remove cotter pin and back off the nut completely. Now turn the nut around and turn it back on the shaft but not all the way, this gives you now a flat surface of the nut to strike with the sledge hammer after you have placed a couple of wedges between the stump jumper and the under side of the mower. With two placed opposite of each other and wedged in as far as you can drive them in. NOW you use the sledge hammer and whack the nut on the out shaft, may take a couple of good hard whacks, the jumper should pop loose onto the nut you just whacked. From here you should be able to remove the jumper and see the bolts that hold the gear box to the mower deck. Hopes this works for your mower, but not all are built the same. Put a little anti sieze grease on the out shaft spline when reassembling, torg nut to specs and happy mowing.

idaho2

/ International Hawkline Gear Box Removal #8  
I would add to that to run the nut on until it is flush with the shaft. That way the force is directly where you want it and not just on the threaded portion. With some pressure on the stum jumper the 5# hammer often gets things free fast.
Jim