48 ford 8n 3 point wont go up??

/ 48 ford 8n 3 point wont go up?? #1  

moose54451

Tractor
ford 8n
hi i have a 48 ford 8n tractor and i was out plowing snow with it and i went to lift up the blade and it went up then dropped and now it wont raise anymore. I took the blade off and i still cant get it to raise. the arms fell down further then normal and i can lift them up and down without any restriction. does anyone know what might have went wrong? everything worked perfectly up till now?

/ 48 ford 8n 3 point wont go up?? #2  
:welcome: to the forum.

Is the PTO in gear?

/ 48 ford 8n 3 point wont go up??
Yes the pto is engaged.

/ 48 ford 8n 3 point wont go up?? #4  
pull the dipstick inspection cover.. move the touch control full quadrant. does the arm fromthe top that controls the pump valve move fore and aft? if not.. move the arm yourself and see if it makes the lift work.

if no.. put the lift into draft mode, 3" draft lever down.., and try it. if that makes it work.. you will need to pull the cover and adjust the mechanism and perhaps replace the cam follower pin.

might even try combinations of holdingthe draft arm in a few different positions to see if the lift works.,

still nada?

lots of oil coming from the top?

if out of the cyl mouth.. could be holed piston.

if from under cul.. bad gaskets.. ..

next possibiities are blow out relief valve on pump.

post back more info

I didh take the cover off everything looks good in there exceot I think the rod that pushes the piston ram in is diconnected from the three point arms? Is it hard to take the top cover off to fix this? If I un bolt it will more stuff fall apart?

/ 48 ford 8n 3 point wont go up?? #6  
i think you need to do more observing and less thinking.

there is no HARD connection from the 3pt lift piston to the rocker.

there is a dogbone that rides freely in a cup ont he piston.
that dogbone is looly pinned to the rocker..

is it there or isn't it?

the cover is not difficult to take off.. just bolts and heft...

I did inspect inside the cover the dog bone that pushes the piston is loose on the 3 point side I think the pin is broke ...
I was wondering if it was hard to take the top cover off so I can see for sure if that's what it is and so I can fix it?

Also I think that's broke cuz I can lift the three point arms up manually and that dog bone and piston doesn't move? Also the 3 point arms are dropped lower then normal...they fell down until the axle stopped them?

/ 48 ford 8n 3 point wont go up?? #9  
the dogbon is not connected to the piston.. it rides in a cup face of it. the dogbone is loosely pinned tot he rockshaft rocker.

if it is no longer connected.. you will have to pull the top cover.

it's about 80# maybee.. and some perimeter bolts. ( don't pull 4 center bolts.. they hold the cyl on ) to put it back on you will need a new gasket for the top cover.. and you will need to leave the inspection cover off to guide the arm back into the slot onthe control at the pump.

if you remove the cyl from the top cover ( it needs 3 gaskets under it ).

use no gasket goop.

i encourage you to repalce the cam pin if you go this far.