IH 460 Power Steering.

/ IH 460 Power Steering. #1  

kbforester

Tractor
International 460 Utility
Already posted this in the repair forum, but I haven't gotten much response. Figured I'd try here!

The power steering gear assembly. These tractors are apparently notorious for steering problems. I got the tractor this summer, and it ran great except it was leaking hydraulic oil from the power steering gear assembly (I was going through more H Oil than gasoline!). But it actually WORKED just fine. Tore the tractor apart to get it off, and sent it to a local guy to overhaul. He said he couldn't find anyone who carried a needle bearing (#5 in the diagram). He packed it up and said it wouldn't leak at least.

Now that I have been able to test it, I discovered I don't have the full range of rotation in the steering wheel anymore. Basically, without adjustments, I can only make normal sharp right hand turns and just barely veer to the left. There is zero resistance issues, it just stops prematurely, and completely when I turn left.

My question is: Could this be the needle baring, or something completely different?

It doesn't sound like a bearing to me. Could it be a mis-calibrated gearing somewhere? Like, it was reassembled improperly so something bottoms or tops out too early. If you agree, does anyone want to take a stab at which one?

I don't want to ask the guy that rebuilt it, I don't trust him.

I think I can readjust everything (arms and tie-rods) to balance the steering so I can turn an equal amount in either direction, but its really not going to be enough to be useful. I had the wacky idea of extending the steering arms to get more tie-rod movement for what little rotation I have left. Not sure if that will be good enough.
1157125.png

Any thought would be much appreciated.

-KB

/ IH 460 Power Steering. #2  
Is the steering valve a orbital valve? As in when you turn your wheels to the left and the wheels stop turning can you still turn the steering wheel to the left?

/ IH 460 Power Steering.
I can't turn the steering wheel any farther to the left. It just stops solid.

/ IH 460 Power Steering. #4  
Hmm was the wheels centered and the steering wheel centered when you put it back on? I don't know my 460 and 560 very well only been around them a time or two I'm sure someone on here knows!

/ IH 460 Power Steering.
I think I understand your question.

Yes, it was, I've also tried to re-adjust, to see if I could distribute the error in both directions.... to see if its tolerable. Its not. I'm going to be using the tractor in my woodlot and maintaining a plantation, so tight corners are important. I use the foot breaks separately, but I can only skid so much when the fields are soft.

As a fellow 460 owner, I should also note this is a 460 utility. The 460s had a bunch of differnt steering setups.. and the farmalls were different still.

/ IH 460 Power Steering. #6  
I suspect the control rack and the two sector gears were probably assembled incorrectly. You will need to remove the case housing #46 and both sector shafts, #37 and #40. Center the control rack #49, then install the shafts each in center of their respective tooth contact paterns. If there are no marks or stamped gear teeth to match, it may take a trial or two to get the position correct, but doesn't look too complicated. It appears the process could be done without removing the unit from the tractor

/ IH 460 Power Steering.
I think I got it near 100% now. Thanks for the help. Just a little more tinkering.

/ IH 460 Power Steering. #8  
A old timer told me there’s a propositional valve in the steering box that messes up the power steering I have one that works like crap