Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away!

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #1  

dusty3030

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010 Cab, Kioti RX7320 Powershuttle/ Cab, Kubota M7040 HDC, Kubota U35-4, John Deere 317G
Won't be long, I'm itching to go! Anyone else chase gobblers?

I was about out of ammo, thank goodness there is no run on turkey loads round here.

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #2  
I'm ready too!!, dont really have a place to go, but the property behind me has quite a few. So far, I have been able to get them to the fence, (had them on the place deer season, but passed, I like to call them it)

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #3  
Turkey season is not near enough. I've been fortunate to have good numbers on our farm. Since 1996 I have had only three years that I didn't kill at least one bird. Most years I've harvested two. My largest so far is 24.8 pounds that I took in sight of my house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 115
   / Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away!
This bird was fun. It was some kind of foggy and he was coming in on a string, as soon as I'd call he'd cut me off, but I couldn't see him. So foggy and so early couldn't see squat. When he appeared looked like a ghost, just came out of nowhere in the mist. My heart gets to pumping just talking about that hunt, couldn't recreate that if I tried.

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #5  
Yes sir! Some of my favorite hunting. I smacked three of them last year. I helped a buddy get his first turkey, which was really exciting. There's just something about hunting turkey that gets my blood pumping.

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #6  
Won't be long, I'm itching to go! Anyone else chase gobblers?

I was about out of ammo, thank goodness there is no run on turkey loads round here.

First season doesn't start until April 11 here. We have a "lottery" for seasons (1 week apart) and zones. I would have preferred season 2 (we can still get snow in mid April) but a friend insisted on season 1 so that's what I put as my first preference. As luck would have it, he drew season 2 and I got season 1. We will most likely have some left over tags for season 3 if I remember to go on-line that day...the popular zones sell out in a matter of minutes. After that there have historically been a lot of left-over tags.

Going back to using decoys this year...the birds seem to be getting smarter...last year on 2 occasions I had them coming in but they sent jakes out in advance...seeing no hen from where the noise was coming from, all I got for my efforts was the "putt-putt"..they didn't run away but they knew something was up. Amazing to observe though, especially their ability to zero in on the call location (would put a GPS to shame).

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #7  
Turkey.jpgTurkey's.jpgHad a few turkey's behind the house. And a few more down the road. Photo's could be better but here they are. Don't believe most people realize there are turkeys in New Brunswick Canada.

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #8  
View attachment 305236View attachment 305237

I had a few turkey's behind the house. And a few more down the road. Photo's could be better but here they are. Don't believe most people realize there are turkeys in New Brunswick Canada.

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #9  
View attachment 305236View attachment 305237

I had a few turkey's behind the house. And a few more down the road. Photo's could be better but here they are. Don't believe most people realize there are turkeys in New Brunswick Canada.

The wild turkey is a true success story in wildlife management. A flock was introduced here in the 50's...it didn't die off but for whatever reason never expanded either. Then in the 70's we got some birds from Missouri. The population exploded and they now cover the state (even the frozen tundra areas in the north). It's a huge industry now (some sporting goods stores have several aisles devoted to turkey hunting gear). It's become my favorite hunting season.

/ Happy days are near! Turkey season only a few weeks away! #10  
Have at èm,Guys! My brother hunts turkeys. Gotta renew my license after end of Feb. Goin' after coyotes,though, if I EVER get the time. don-ohio :)^)