ford 5000 clutch wont disengage

/ ford 5000 clutch wont disengage #1  

frd5000

Tractor
ford 5000
Should have said wont engage, tractor wont move. Clutched tractor stopped shifted from 1st to reverse released clutch nothing. Shift without clutch lever pushed no grinding. Pulled tractor while running and in gear - can hear rear end engaged. Shift to neutral and pull - free wheels. PTO still works as it should and manual clutch linkage all appears fine as well as action of clutch. Throw out bearing??? Any ideas?? Anything I can troubleshoot before splitting tractor. I have no experience with tractors but will have to figure it out. Might have money for parts but know I don't have money for labor, more time than money! Any wisdom would be appreciated, my mules are laughing at me feeding with a pitch fork. 1969 diesel w/8 speed crash box.

Last edited:
   / ford 5000 clutch wont disengage #2  
Should have said wont engage, tractor wont move. Shift without clutch lever pushed no grinding.

Split it at the clutch housing. Flywheel is turning; transmission input shaft isn't. The problem lies somewhere between.

/ ford 5000 clutch wont disengage
I'm sure you are correct. Thanks the advice.

/ ford 5000 clutch wont disengage #4  
Your clutch is dead. Time to split it in half. Can do it yourself if you have a good solid surface like cement and lots of sturdy stands and jacks. It's cumbersome and a bit dangerous only because the parts are heavy enough to squish your boogers out should they land on you! I would recommend spraying the bolts nuts with QUALITY penetrating fluid every day for a week. Not WD40. Would also say to use a pressure washer to clean it completely at least twice in an area away from your work zone first.

/ ford 5000 clutch wont disengage
We have about a foot of wet snow melting off (contributor of clutch failure). As soon as I can drag it back to the barn without tearing anything else up I'll go to work. In the mean time the power wash and penetrating fluid are a great idea.

Thanks for the advice.