Dealer Dealer Service

/ Dealer Service #1  

Tchara

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3520R
Picking up my 3520R today.
While I'm exited about the tractor, and believe I'm getting a god machine, I'm not to keen on the dealer I bought it from. I read an older post about dealer servicing and warranty work. Are other Branson dealers obligated to to do service/warranty work if you didn't buy the tractor from them? There is another Branson dealer closer to me then the one I'm buying the tractor.

/ Dealer Service #2  
CONGRATS on the NEW TOY !!!

Well, it may be a bit awkward to establish a relationship with someone close that you didn't buy from, especially if you pitted them against each other in a micro price war to get your business (-:
OTOH, if their service departments are very independent of their sales departments you may be able to convince them that although they lost the sale battle they can still compete for the service.
Around here "dealerships" are one or two man outfits, so if Joe didn't sell it to Ya his brother Fred might not want to work on it.
Some regard it as "work is work, the factory pays for warranty, bring it in".

Given the GENERAL hassle of trailering a tractor to/from a dealership for "service" and the price they charge to remove/replace a drain plug and add a few quarts of oil at some ridiculous mark-up...
DIY suggests itself.
Really, lubes and filters is about it for a very long time - once you get through any "as delivered" defects, you probably should go back to the selling dealer for those anyway.
About the only "special" tool you may need is a BIG drain pan and I have found a mason's mortar tub to be ideal.
There is enough info on DIY service in this forum, some MAJOR repair stuff too.

If you don't have a trailer to move it around on you are going to be faced with transportation costs to/from the dealership - DIY looking even better.

/ Dealer Service #3  
A car dealer in my town used to deny service to cars not purchased through them. Seems like a couple of customers called Ford Motor headquarters directly and the dealer changed his policy real fast. You do not have to buy from them if they are an authorized dealer. Not saying they will give you the same pricing but they should as there is far more money to be made from servicing than there is from selling.

/ Dealer Service #4  
As a dealer one of our obligations are to represent the product line with the ability to perform service and warranty repairs to our customers and supply parts. Naturally this is a benefit to the customer that his investment will be taken care of. Not all dealers do things the same. Some dealers do a better job than others. In our bussiness rarely do we refuse a request for service.but it is our bussiness and we can choose to loose customers if we wish. The thing with warranty is that it is not profitable, it eats up time and sometime we loose money. That being said,the other dealer may not be to determined to getting you serviced. You may fall to the back of the list,he may feel if you cant support him then he wont support you. The best thing would be to approach him straight on and ask him about servicing your tractor. Tell him honestly why you didnt choose him as the selling dealer,maybe he will see that a new customer relationship can be gained. What is wrong with your selling dealer? If things concern you that much to not let him handle your service needs than you probable should not have bought from him. The real problem is you may end up loosing both dealers support.

/ Dealer Service #5  
I would call Kubota directly if any dealer gave me any problems with warranty or any other work. Kubota can also refuse dealership if someone isn't representing their best interests...2 way street.

/ Dealer Service #6  
I would call Kubota directly if any dealer gave me any problems with warranty or any other work. Kubota can also refuse dealership if someone isn't representing their best interests...2 way street.

Not relevant.
He already has had the good sense to
a) not buy a Ku_boo_boo
b) know which forum he is in

Don't take this post TOO seriously, it is a common mistake for beginners to think that ALL compact tractors are generic Kubotas.
(-:

/ Dealer Service
Thanks for all the great input. As far as the dealer goes, I felt they could have done more to expedite the delivery and installation of the Westendorf loader. It took 4 weeks. I didn't buy from the closer dealer because they didn't offer the package deal I received from dealer A .

My biggest reason to use dealer B, is its a lot closer. I only called him
Once when I was pricing tractors.