Snow Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved?

/ Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved? #1  

orangebruce

Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST, LA723 loader
I have a 1978 John Deere riding garden tractor 316 serial number 0316G - 0803M, with

Briggs Stratton vanguard 16hp, model number 303447, type: 1079-A1-1874,
Code :95092511.

After running for 20 minutes, Engine stalls, clear plastic fuel filter appears empty, if i choke it i can nurse engine to run a little longer after stumbling first starts. After waiting a couple of minutes it generally will start and run again only for a while shorter then from a cold start. after over night Cold start fuel filter is only half full? I am gonna change filter to see if that is it. Loosening the gas cap did nothing. For some reason I blame heat, too much.

I need to snow blow the 12 inches of snow we just got and would appreciate any help.

Thanks Bruce

Last edited:
   / Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved? #2  
Had a similar situation a few years ago in the shop. Replaced fuel filter, fuel lines, cleaned carb, checked ignition. Ended up being the fuel pump would stop pumping fuel after the engine got hot. Could also be a posibility that the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb is cutting out after it gets hot als

After the engine dies, does the fuel solenoid click when you turn the key off and back on.

/ Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved? #3  
Starving for fuel is all that I can think of based on that info. If not trash I wonder if it could be ice crystals forming that you can not see or carb icing. Charles Lindbergh had this issue flying to France but when the loss of power caused him to drop down closer to the water/warmer air he would regain power. Is it parked in a heated place/or above freezing?

RANDYT took the hot side I see which could be the case too.

/ Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved?
I hear a click everytime I turn key on.

It is parked in cold garage and always ran for many years in this situation. Today is warmer and sunny. Good day to blow some snow!

/ Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved? #6  
Try blowing air backwards into the line coming out of the gas tank. It may have gunk in/near it that is getting sucked in and blocking fuel flow.

Aaron Z

Had a similar situation a few years ago in the shop. Replaced fuel filter, fuel lines, cleaned carb, checked ignition. Ended up being the fuel pump would stop pumping fuel after the engine got hot. Could also be a posibility that the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb is cutting out after it gets hot als

After the engine dies, does the fuel solenoid click when you turn the key off and back on.

Engine is in JD 316 Fuel pump is where? the solenoid is interesting where is that?

/ Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved? #8  
you can always rig a small tank right to the carb and then rule out carb forward or pre carb.

carb forward would likely include a fuel shutoff if it is built into the carb inlet.

I think I'd jimmy that as well depending on the results of the first run test.

/ Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved? #9  
Engine is in JD 316 Fuel pump is where? the solenoid is interesting where is that?

solenoid is located on the bowl of the carb, and has two wires hooked to it. the fuel pump should be attached to the blower housing next to the valve cover. I can't determine exactly which engine you have without a full model-type-code number off the engine.

/ Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved? #10  
how old is this engine? it may not have a carb solenoid

as soundguy stated, try to isolate the fuel supply, it may be crud in the tank that
finds it's way to the pickup tube, then blocks it. once fuel stops flowing, said crud may
retreat from the pickup area until fuel is flowing again. if you remove the fuel line
at the filter, see how it drains into a pail from the tank, if it slows at all then your problem
may be there. blowing back would only offer a temp fix, as obstruction would still be in
the tank.
with a separate tank as soundguy stated you can rule out the tank/line.