X748 Arthur Randall plow

/ X748 Arthur Randall plow #1  

tbwebster700

Tractor
John Deere 4120 John Deere X748
I have a brand new X748. It must've been one of the last ones off the assembly line... I decided to buy the Arthur Randall 12 guage plow which came the other day.

I wanted to share a couple things I found plus get some input on my situation...

First I had to alter one side of the "hitch" that couples the plow to the tractor. It required minor grinding to get the pins to line up. No big deal, but bottom line... It didn't fit out of the box...

The big issue I had was with the hydraulic hoses.

There is no info on where to put the hoses for correct lever operation.

I figured out at some point the bottom hydraulic lever has a float position so that would be plow up and down... Right?
I think... If I pull on the handle the plow should raise. If I push the handle the plow should lower...
I think... If I pull the top handle the plow should angle right. If I push the top handle it should angle left... Right?

Problem is; the hoses are too short for this to happen. They reach if everything is backwards...

Thoughts?

/ X748 Arthur Randall plow #2  
have you tried removing the hoses on the plow end. Take out your wrenches and undo the hoses and swap them on the other end.

/ X748 Arthur Randall plow
Let me try this again...

If I want to hook up the plow as I feel it should be hooked up I have 2 hoses that are too short. One is so short I can't get it to the valve. I had a new hose made for that. I have a second hose that is short to the point that the tire hits it if I turn hard left. I didn't realize that when I had the first hose made or I would've gotten another one.

I have tried everything as far as swapping hoses from from one position to another.

The only way they are all long enough is if I hook them up backwards. Or at least backwards to how I feel they should be.

I will more than likely have to have another hose made.

Also... I notified Arthur Randall of my issue this morning via email and have not received a reply yet.

What is that supposed to mean? This plow is more money than the John Deere plow... I didn't buy it to save money.

/ X748 Arthur Randall plow #6  
Let me try this again...

If I want to hook up the plow as I feel it should be hooked up I have 2 hoses that are too short. One is so short I can't get it to the valve. I had a new hose made for that. I have a second hose that is short to the point that the tire hits it if I turn hard left. I didn't realize that when I had the first hose made or I would've gotten another one.

I have tried everything as far as swapping hoses from from one position to another.

The only way they are all long enough is if I hook them up backwards. Or at least backwards to how I feel they should be.

I will more than likely have to have another hose made.

Also... I notified Arthur Randall of my issue this morning via email and have not received a reply yet.

Maybe the best thing to do is call the company and ask how it should be setup on your X748. Are you sure you receive the correct plow from the company - Item Number: A0000001? Base on their video, the plow should fit/connect properly on the X748.

/ X748 Arthur Randall plow #7  
What is that supposed to mean? This plow is more money than the John Deere plow... I didn't buy it to save money.

Usually, that would mean it is better, but not in every case. The guy who makes those is a spin off working out of his garage. Yes, the plow itself is much heavier than a John Deere plow, but it is actually slightly over-sized for the X700 series machines. I have heard of numerous fitting issues with his plows, because they are not mass produced alongside other John Deere components.

If your hoses don't work for you, your only choice is to have hoses made that do, or make extension hoses. The 54 inch plow from John Deere is sized appropriately for the machine, if I were you, I would have stuck with it and saved some money.

/ X748 Arthur Randall plow #8  

The Arthur Randall plow is top of the line, from what I've read. I wanted one myself, just couldn't get myself to spend that much money, but looking back I wish I did.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you trying to correct the problem yourself? For what you paid, they should be catering to your every need. If it was me, I wouldn't spend one thin dime on trying to correct the problem. Let them fix it, and they should also compensate you for the initial work you had to do to make it fit. Just my 2 cents.

I am trying to get them to make it right... I just wasn't willing to let it sit half a$$ed...
I sent them an email this morning. Waiting for a reply...
Carl Bert I agree with you. I didn't just watch a you tube video and decide to buy this plow.
I did research this and I TOTALLY disagree it is too much plow for the tractor. I just couldn't see putting a 54" plow on a tractor that is 52" wide so I could drive in the snow bank when I angle the plow.

When I posted this I was looking for someone to tell me I was right or wrong in my control theory...
That is; what happens when you push/pull one lever or the other...