JD 5403 pto problems

/ JD 5403 pto problems #1  

AMorrison85

Tractor
JD 5403
I have a 07 5403 with roughly 1000 hrs. When bushogging or mowing hay with a disc mower the pto will slip in thick grass. I have tightened the linkage like dealer did the first time under warranty but it only works for a short time and am almost out of adjustment. The pto shaft will also get very hot and burn your hand when ran hard a few hours. I have broken the bolt twice the lever pivots on due to the more force needed to engage the pto. Need help,is my clutch wore out already or is there an adjustment somewhere? I have had no problems out of the rest of the tractor. I know it is an economy tractor but think the design on the pto lever is very poor.

/ JD 5403 pto problems #2  
Unless I'm mistaken it appears that a 5403 has a dual stage type pto clutch that the foot pedal controls therefore the foot pedal will require a certain amount of free travel that of which the adjustment should be outlined in the operators manual.

/ JD 5403 pto problems #3  
Unless I'm mistaken it appears that a 5403 has a dual stage type pto clutch that the foot pedal controls therefore the foot pedal will require a certain amount of free travel that of which the adjustment should be outlined in the operators manual.

Tx Jim, the 5000 series do have a double clutch assemby in the flywheel, but is not dual stage. It is an independent pto and it has a separate lever to engage the pto clutch. It is a design similar to the old style 3020 and 4020 in operation.

AMorrison85, The 5x03 series linkage is not as nice as the 5x00 or 5x10 series. The '03's need more frequent adjustment due to the geometry of the linkage. And the linkage is not strong enough to make the adjustment very tight.

/ JD 5403 pto problems #4  
JD110
I'm not arguing but asking as I see no other way to disengage pto drive shaft to engage pto except dual stage type. How does one engage pto on this model tractor IE where is the pto clutch?? UPDATE: I think I figured it out and I don't like what I see. It kinda reminds me of a 2010.

Attachments

• PY55022________UN02NOV09.gif
    PY55022________UN02NOV09.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 623
   / JD 5403 pto problems
I definetly agree that the lingage is not very strong and am not impressed with the design. Don't really want to trade it yet. Any advice on adjusting it. Seems theres a fine line between slipping and too tight!