How much to mow?

/ How much to mow? #1  

Carykong

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC 35 New Holland and 52 Case VAC,LT25 Woodmizer logmill
My club has a very flat,4.5 acre grass plot. We have this area mowed 8-10 times a year at $400 per mow. Any opinion on this price?

/ How much to mow?
GrizzDave, how wide is your mower deck and how long would you guess that you could mow a very flat,hard,lawn 4.5 acres. just curious

/ How much to mow? #5  
I pull a 60'' rfm with my little guy , I cut 2.5 acres of flat ground in a little over an hour. So you are looking at 2 hours maybe a gallon and a half of fuel( Maybe never checked ) This guy is making out like a bandit

/ How much to mow? #6  
I would be one hurt puppy doing 2.5 acres in an hour with a 60" RFM. But I'm not as young as I once was. My tractor uses a gallon an hour with the 72" RFM.

/ How much to mow? #7  
My club has a very flat,4.5 acre grass plot. We have this area mowed 8-10 times a year at $400 per mow. Any opinion on this price?

This appears to be about a once a month mow in your area. Grass can get to be a foot high in that time depending on the weather and time of year. That is going to slow the mowing time down in itself. Then there are costs and time to be considered. Loading and unloading equipment, travel time, transportation fuel and equipment, insurance on a truck and trailer and business taxes, it adds up. Wear and tear & maintenance on the mowing equipment, labor and liability insurance are more expenses. If you are getting a guy down the road to come in and mow, $400 is overpriced. But, if you are hiring a pro with a legit business, insurance, and all of the other costs involved, $400 might not be out of line in your area.

/ How much to mow? #8  
It is kind of a small plot, but maybe you could find someone to hay it for free :thumbsup:

/ How much to mow? #9  
I have 6 acres that I've been mowing with a little 650 JD with a 60" mower for the last 28 years. Like clock work it takes me 4 hours or 1.5 acres per hour. Granted my old 650 only had 14 hp but it went fast enough for as rough as the ground is.
I'll let ya know what a 72" deck does under a 3520 JD this mowing season. :)