Curved exhaust versus flapper

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
Has anyone ever stuck an engine because their tractor was left out with an uncovered exhaust pipe that had a curved end? How about with a flapper? I've already gotten one motor stuck and don't want a repeat performance.
Stuckmotor

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #2  
only a honda v twin on an auger :(

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #3  
Flapper with a half a soda can on top. A soda can works good because if you forget it is there the exhaust will blow it of.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper
Ted,
Do you cut a slot in the soda can for the counter weight on the flappper? My Massey came with a flapper and I couldn't get anything that small over it.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #6  
I've been able to mash the can to fit over the counter weight but it it is on a Farmall 140 gas exhaust. I think a slot on one side would work. A set of tin snips would come in handy.

The Kubota has exhaust under the grille out the front. The MF 135 has a curved exhaust but stays under the shed (the others usually do unless I am working a food ply or hay and need to leave machinery in the field)

Last edited:
   / Curved exhaust versus flapper
Thanks,Ted. I imagine the 140 has a smaller exhaust and flapper.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #8  
Stuck a old jeager pull behind air compressor. Had a straight stack on the continetal motor. Pop can over pipe using electrical tape to keep it on. Come spring the motor would not turn over. Crack on the manifold where the stack mounted-filled her up with water. No more sandblasting.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #9  
I like flappers personally. Just installed a straight pipe on my splitter, so far the flapper is working perfect.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #10  
The upright stack still will have moisture in it when it cools down. This comes from the combustion gasses cooling down and depositing on the walls of the stack. To get an idea how much that could be watch the horizontal tailpipe on your car or pickup. This amount should not affect the workings much.