Ford 9N- No Spark

/ Ford 9N- No Spark #1  

trees132

Tractor
a few
Hi Guys,

I have been working on a 9N that was sitting outside for a long time. We replaced the main wiring harness, resistor, plug wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser and still do not have any spark. Just wondering if someone could but together a few diagnostic points to check. The starter is spinning well. It is currently set up as 6-v pos. ground and would like to keep it as such. Greatly appreciate the advice!

Josh

/ Ford 9N- No Spark #2  
Is the rotor turning? What did you gap the points?

/ Ford 9N- No Spark #4  
If you haven't already, make sure you have 6volts at the coil with the switch on.

/ Ford 9N- No Spark #5  
guessing you put new condenser in it also,if not could be your problem.

/ Ford 9N- No Spark #6  
I know the points on mine are hard to set,I take plugs out and put in gear and rock tractor one way or the other to get the points cam in position and set them with the thickness of a match book cover.

/ Ford 9N- No Spark #7  
The rotor is turning. I gaped the points using the gauge included in the points kit.

Did you wipe the points off with a degreaser like brake clean? They have a film of oil on them.

/ Ford 9N- No Spark #9  
rockingt he engine to move the cam.

are all you guys aware tha ton a 9n.. it has a front mount dizzy that comes of with 2 bolts.. then you carry it to your bench and install the points.. gap to .015 and then static time using a straight edge, 1/4" drill bit and the service manual... then reinstal..

DO clean the points after instalation.

Do make suree the advance works freely.

DO make sure you have power to the top of the coil with key on.

poitns open voltage = bat volts. with points closed.. it = less like 3-4v on a 6v system.. an d8-10 on a12v system using a 2.5 ohm oil.. less with oem coil..

/ Ford 9N- No Spark #10  
on a front mount.. there is a direct connection fromthe coil to the cap thru a brass rod embedded in the cap. it is NOT accessable from t he outside.

coil rides atop the dizzy and captures the cap a bit.. so there is NO access to outgoing secondary connection to the cap.. OR the outgoing primary connetion tot he distribuitor concave head screw that is the union of the capacitor and insulated section of the points.

Last edited: